Welcome to GRC 275!

Class announcements and news will be posted here.
Instructor
Site Admin

Welcome to GRC 275!

Post by Instructor »

**NOTE: I also sent this out as an email. If you received it, please reply to me so I have a current set of emails to contact you with.**

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to the fall semester's GRC 275, Web Design & Publishing II. In this class we're going to take the information you learned in GRC 175 and CIT 151 and build it out into real expertise about a variety of topics including user interface design, mobile first web design, e-commerce, content management systems, and much more.
Due to COVID-19 this class has been converted from a Monday/Wednesday in-person class into an asynchronous online class. What's an asynchronous online class, you may ask? Good question! An asynchronous online class is an on-demand online learning experience facilitated by a learning management system. In our case two learning management systems: Canvas, which you're already familiar with and the GRC 275 class website, which those of you who are veterans of my GRC 175 class will be familiar with.

I will also be conducting online lectures through Zoom on the originally planned Monday and Wednesday nights from 6:00pm - 8:30pm. Though, because this is an asynchronous online class, no roll will be taken and attendance is purely optional. These will likely be much looser and shorter than my usual lectures and be largely technique demonstrations, theory discussions, and other assorted instances of me showing you cool things and dispensing odd facts from within my brain.

Our first class will be Monday, August 24th at 6:00pm. In that class we will go over the web design creative process and review root folders, Dreamweaver, and FTP, to make sure everybody's rust has been knocked off.

Classes will be recorded and links to the previous weeks' classes will be distributed in weekly announcements put out every Sunday. If you miss a class, you can snag the links then, or get in touch with me and I will provide you the class recording.

Any leftover time will basically be office hours for you to discuss projects, ask questions, and solicit feedback on your designs. I will also be available via email, Canvas, and the class forum if you need to get a hold of me for any reason.

Zoom
For the fall 2020 semester TMCC now has a Zoom license and we will be using Zoom to conduct the online lectures.

Here's a set of instructions on how to set up your Zoom account:
Zoom Initial Setup

I highly recommend going to TMCCs Zoom account page and configuring your Zoom account:
https://tmcc-edu.zoom.us/

If you wish to download the Zoom app before using Zoom for the first time (it will prompt you to if it's the first time you've used it) go here:
Zoom Download Center

If you are new to Zoom, here are some great tutorial videos:
Zoom Video Tutorials
How to Use Zoom - Basics
Zoom Tutorial

And some great web links on getting started if you don't want to sit through videos:
How to Use Zoom
Everything You Need to Know About Using Zoom

I encourage active participation in my online classes, so feel free to unmute yourself and speak up during class if you have a question. I'm always happy to answer questions.

Syllabus
The class syllabus with all relevant information can be found here:
https://www.grc275.com/images/pdf/syllabus.pdf

Class Websites
http://www.grc275.com
This site makes class materials, along with additional references and resources, available to students at all times. Please use the class web site first if you are missing information.

http://www.grc-resources.com
This website is a collection of resources I have accumulated over the course of my professional and teaching careers. Check this space regularly as I will update it frequently with things I find helpful, educational or just plain cool.

Class Forum
https://www.grc275.com/forum/index.php
The class forum is our central point of discussion and critique for the class. This is where you will post your artwork and website build for critique and your final websites for all three projects at the end of the semester. Please register for the forum, send me your username so that I may activate your account, and then post to the Introductions subforum so we may all get to know each other. 

Projects
One of the side effects of running an asynchronous online class is that it's basically self paced. To that end, I'm providing you with all three projects right at the beginning of the semester so that you can decide what you want to work on and when you want to work on it.

Note: There is one critical difference between these projects and your GRC 175 projects. Since we will not physically meet, I'm going to require you to compress your "working-graphics" folder into a ZIP file and post it to your website.

All projects are due online Friday, December 11th.

Here are links to the project web pages and their subforums:

Project One
Website ~ Subforum

Project Two
Website ~ Subforum

Project Three
Website ~ Subforum

FTP Info
We'll be using FTP to put our projects online, which I will demonstrate at several points throughout the class starting with the very first lecture tomorrow evening.

Here's the classes' FTP info for a few common FTP programs:
FileZilla ~ Fetch ~ Dreamweaver

Critiques
Critiques will function a little unusually in this class due to it being asynchronous and self-paced. Critiques will pretty much take place whenever you want/need them to. Simply post what you want feedback on to the class forum and then notify me about it via Canvas or email. I will summon the class with an announcement in Canvas and then they and I will provide our critiques and thoughts and bury you in a pile of our two-cents.

I am also available via email, Canvas, or the class forum for one on one feedback anytime you need it.

Adobe CC
Since this class has no physical component and some of you may have difficulty accessing campus, access to Adobe Creative Cloud may be a problem.
I always recommend subscribing to it on your own through Adobe. The student price is $19.99 per month which is an absolute smoking deal. In the long run, this is your best option if you plan to stay in the GAMT program.

If you're unable to purchase your own subscription, TMCC can add you to their license for the semester. This would allow you to access the Adobe CC Suite on your own computer using a TMCC username. If you'd like to do this, please let Ron Marston (rmarston@tmcc.edu)  know and he will add you to the list, and (hopefully) someone from TMCC's IT department will contact you with details on how to install it by the second week of the semester.

Open Labs
TMCC is committed to providing a full schedule of open labs this semester. That schedule can be found here:
TMCC GAMT Open Lab Schedule

In addition to that, TMCC will also have an open lab in Sierra 109. Apparently, this semester ALL of the computers in Sierra 109 will have Adobe Creative Suite installed on them. It's open weekdays, 9:00am-9:00pm and closed weekends.

As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to ask me. I'm available via email, Canvas, and the class forum.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262