Projet 01 Preliminary

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Cole_Richarrds

Projet 01 Preliminary

Post by Cole_Richarrds »

Hi hey hello! Here are my drafts for project 01, I decided to do my website about one of my favorite film directors Christopher Nolan, I am planning on doing 2 subpages in the gallery about certain films, currently I am thinking of doing Interstellar (my favorite Nolan film) and Oppenheimer, his most recent.

This is the first concept, I wanted for both of the concepts to be simplistic while still visually interesting, so I just wanted to adjust where the navigation and imagery were.
I also wanted in the first concept for it to have a navigation bar in the desktop and a drop-down navigation menu for mobile
Artboard 1.png
Artboard 2.png
Artboard 1-mobile.png
Artboard 2-mobile.png
For concept 2 I wanted a more cohesive navigation setup, both would have a navigation menu that would slide in from left to right and cover the screen in the mobile setup and I still haven't decided if i want the navigation to cover the screen in the desktop.
Artboard 1-draft2.png
Artboard 2-draft2.png
Artboard 1-draft2-mobi.png
Artboard 2-draft2-mobi.png
In both concepts the blue lines are there to indicate the edge of the screen size. I am currently leaning towards the first concept but I am open to other opinions and any advice you may have.

Good luck everyone, can't wait to see your concepts!
Cole Richards (he/him) (betes boy)

isaacm03

Re: Projet 01 Preliminary

Post by isaacm03 »

Hello Cole!

You have some pretty cool concepts here! I think I am leaning toward the first set you have going on because of the background image taking up the whole page. It's a great look. I think you should reduce the size of the menu bar though, to create a better hierarchy. Also, consider adding a black gradient that fades into the image from the top to make "Christopher Nolan" read better.

Great work regardless!
Isaac

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi!
I think both designs work well and fit Christopher Nolan's aesthetic. I like the first one the best because I like that you use an image as the whole background. His name being big and bold also draws your eye. I would make the nav bar a bit smaller and keep his name on all the pages. Good Job!
-Bella Meyer

Christopher B

Post by Christopher B »

Hi Cole,
Great grid/dashboard layout, and great overall work. For the mobile version, you should left-align the vertical nav bar text. Also consider toning down the white border box around your nav bar items in the large version - you could use 'box-shadow' to make the white fade out more.
Well done!
------
Christopher Bargman
chris@cbdatadesign.com
775-283-8817

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Cole,
I love Christopher Nolan! Did you know he's known to wear the same suit everyday when he works! Anyways, I really like your 2nd concept. The graphic on the left and having all the navigation justified left is a little refreshing for a website design. The only thing I would try to play around with would be to stay true to films aspect ratio when highlighting each movie title. If it doesn't look good, then try to zoom in on one screenshot of the movie to make it look like you did it on purpose, if that makes sense at all. Filmmakers get pretty fussy about the picture they've shot, so it's always fun to pay homage to that. Good job Cole.
-Johnna Chism ;)

liv-lil_cactux

Post by liv-lil_cactux »

Nice job Cole! I like the first one more.(:
Not sure if the color exactly on the black but in grc175 we learned that dark dark grey is easier on the eyes than straight black on the web. Food for thought, designs look awesome tho (:

Osmar_Sandoval

Post by Osmar_Sandoval »

Hey Cole,
I think both of your designs came out pretty good, although I'd go with the second design. I like the way you utilized the images to fill up the space on your page, and the UI looks nice. The one thing I would change is making the opacity on the images on your home page a bit lower so the artist's name is easier to read. Overall nice job!

kai

Post by kai »

Hello hey hi Cole!
I think your first designs work well with encapsulating Christopher Nolan's visually impacting movies shots. I feel like the use of other colors in the design should be kept to a minimum or shouldn't use color at all. I like the first design's way of navigation a lot more since there isn't so much empty space within the design.
Good work here Cole! (✿◡‿◡)
Kai Backflipped here (⌐■_■)(⌐■_■)

bdawg11

Post by bdawg11 »

I'm liking the first design more. Everything just comes together to me than the second.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Cole, In both designs, I believe you could give up some of that real estate you are giving to the Nav Bars. Both designs evoke a feeling of going to a movie theatre-perfect...
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262