Project Three - Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Stephski

Project Three - Roughs

Post by Stephski »

Hello everyone,

I chose to create a website for artist Shepard Fairey, whom I admire for his stance on political issues and his ability to create poignant artworks.

Version 1:
This version uses images and CSS effects. I plan on having elements (text/images) appear/fade in when you scroll down to a section. I want to keep the layout as minimal as possible and instead play with coding to add cool effects.
project3-rough1-homepage-desktop-01.jpg
project3-rough1-homepage-mobile-01.jpg
project3-rough1-subpage-desktop-01.jpg
project3-rough1-subpage-mobile-01.jpg
Version 2 :
This version would use a black and white video as the main element in the header. I also experimented with an "odd" navigation, all categories in four different places (top, bottom, left & right). I kept the layout clean and "open" with red highlights ( as this seems to be a main color in Shepard Fairey's work).
project3-rough2-homepage-desktop-01.jpg
project3-rough2-homepage-mobile-01.jpg
project3-rough2-subpage-desktop-01.jpg
project3-rough2-subpage-mobile-01.jpg
Stephanie Kendziorski.

chaytothet

Re: Project Three - Roughs

Post by chaytothet »

I really like the first of the layouts. I feel like the black and white takes away from the artwork, but the full glory of the pieces have the vibrant colors.

It looks really nice!

selvester

Post by selvester »

Awesome! You're first set of roughs are spectacular. The color scheme you've chosen along with the images are on point. I can't wait to see this all finished. Great work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

Hey there,

These are great, I love the header image that you've compiled, it's so beautiful! I personally prefer the rough 1 design set, the images look better at a large scale, and having fewer images visible at one time keeps the design from getting overwhelming, since the pictures themselves are quite busy.

The rough one mobile edition is also really nice, that nice column of single images is super visually pleasing.

You're the local awesome website individual, so I don't have much to say in terms of constructive criticism. The only thing I can think of is that the footer design is pretty much unchanged between your full size and mobile designs, and I think it'd look pretty squished on a phone display. I have clumsy fingers, and those teeny tiny text links are making me shudder. Perhaps you could get rid of or move the "in the news" section on the mobile design, so you could expand the text elements.

These roughs look great, can't wait to see the finished product! : D
~ Kieley Smith

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

First of all, let me congratulate you on doing a Shepard Fairey website and not use that "Hope" poster that's everywhere and isn't even remotely his best work. Second, what a great choice of subject.

I like your first design better. I especially like the collage of his work along the top. It provides a great summary of his vision and sensibilities and sets the stage for the rest of the website. You've done a great job using his colors and style throughout your layout. It looks like it should be a great single page scroller. I like your choice in typography too. It's super clean which goes with the typography he uses in his work. Great use of margins throughout. Your navigation has some fun stuff in it too. I like the bracket and the subhead to signify which page you're on.

I have a little trouble reading some of the text in the footer. You might want to use a slightly darker background color there. Possibly enlarge the nav text too. It's awfully tiny.

Fantastic job!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

I really like version one, the layout and colors work well. I can't wait to see the finished product. Great job!!
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I really like the first design. The colors you chose work well with the artist’s work and I like how the art is the main feature of the homepage.
Cassandra Bowers

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
both of your designs are amazing!
Prefer rough 1, the collage really makes the whole design stand out!
Advice would be to make header bigger for the mobile version and to simplify the footer, since it has too much content for mobile.

Breezy

Post by Breezy »

Hi,

Your first layout is awsome! I really like how you put the work in color groupings. Great job!
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

Brianna Mick

fjbo

Post by fjbo »

I think you totally nailed it with your first design. It is working very well and Shepard Fairey is a very interesting character. I really liked your composition and how you chose designs and imagery that matched a particular color palette. I found that to be very interesting and cool.

The whole layout is very organized and simple. The site navigation feels very part of the big "above-the-fold" image.

Very cool as usual!
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ