Project 1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Eduardo_Garcia

Project 1 Roughs

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hi everyone,
For my website, I decided to go with a Basic clothesline, which sells various Shirts and Sweaters.
The color scheme I went with is black and white, with the name being "BASIC"

critique away!

-Eduardo Garcia
Attachments
rough_02_second_page.jpg
rough_02.jpg
rough_01_second_page.jpg
rough_01.jpg

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 1 Roughs

Post by Instructor »

Ha! It is basic. Is everything it sells black?

I prefer your first one. I like the super high contrast header and the no nonsense clean layout. Ordinarily, I'd be yammering on about how it needs drop shadows and texture to pop, but this is a Basic website so it should be clean, simple, and no nonsense which this design is. Your logo font works really well. It adds just a hint of artsiness and detail to what is otherwise a super clean geometric layout. Your navigation is easy to see and use. I also like the little splash of color that is the social media links.

I'm not sold on the script type. I thinks it too fancy for such a Basic website. I'd try a good clean sans-serif type like Myriad or Helvetica. Also justify your body copy so it's a big ol block. I don't think you need the gray box behind your body copy either. Or the gray frames around the images, while we're at it. If it's gonna be Basic, let's keep it basic. Watch the top margin on your navigation. Drop it down so it's the same distance between your top bar and "Home" as it is between "Home" and "Contacts".

Nicely done!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

I would go with rough 2 and I would change the script font to a san-serif like helvetica or roboto. I think keeping it really simple and clean is the way to go and get rid of the grey boxes behind the product. Other that that I like the clean look of it and it goes well with your product.
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

fjbo

Post by fjbo »

I think that your brand name is strongly supported by the design and vice-versa!

Personally I believe that rough 1 has a more modern layout than rough 2. I like the black & white color scheme. I believe that the gray box in the slider is something that needs some work on. For example you could try to knock-out the product background, or use the same background color that your images have for the slider background so they blend in to have a very professional feeling to it.

I think the script font adds more personality, I believe it needs to be refined a little bit to make it work ( try different font-weights, spacing, etc). If you are able to make it work it can be pretty dope. If you are not very confident I would follow Michele's advice.

Another thing that I think you could be fixed is the navigation. The navigation's horizontal alignment feels a bit off. Use your logo's left side as an alignment reference so everything looks harmonic in terms of space and alignment.
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

AboutDead

Post by AboutDead »

Hi Eduardo, I am really liking the modern design of your first layout. It fits your website name perfectly! I would try adding some drop shadows or something along those lines to make the website more interesting. Great job and I can't wait to see the finished product!
Sarah Alvarado - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Monster Enthusiast

“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”
― Guillermo del Toro, The Strain

cruiznv

Post by cruiznv »

I think the second of the two (Black "BASIC" on white background" is the stronger of two layouts. Everything is easy to see and navigation makes sense. The only suggestions I would make would be to consider using a very light tan/cream color for the background (in place of the white) and to try using a ultralight, open, geometric sans serif type face for the body copy and only use the serif typeface for the company name and titles. The font used now can be difficult to read especially where there are line of text like in the second page. The cream/tan color with the black that is there now will give it a elegant, high-end feel and the sans serif typeface will add to that while keeping in the "BASIC", clean, modern mind set.

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like your second design best. The navigation and layout are very clean. My only critique is that the font for the text box is kinda hard to read.
Cassandra Bowers

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

I really like your first design, I think you might be a bit too simple in it though. I think you could benefit from putting some individuality, even if it is basic.

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I think the first layout is a bit more basic, haha. I'd remove the grey content background and just allow the black type on the blank background to speak for itself. I'd also swap out the social media links for ones designed in flat black to mesh better with your design.

Like Michael, I'm not really fond of the script type, though I really like the typeface you've chosen for the title. Maybe something san-serif and bold instead?
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart

selvester

Post by selvester »

I'm fond of your second layout too. The black and white color scheme are very basic and represent your brand well.

I agree with the comments about changing your font choices. A sans serif font may look nice here. Good work !
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey