Project One Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
BecomeAHero

Project One Roughs

Post by BecomeAHero »

Hello everyone!

For my web store, I will be selling bottled sleep, dreams, etc. To reflect the product, I wanted the colors to evoke a sunset or a dawn feeling. Each rough has a different company name, so if you prefer one name over the other be sure to let me know! I appreciate any feedback you guys are willing to give me.
Attachments
rough_one.jpg
rough_one_about.jpg
rough_two.jpg
rough_two_about.jpg
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart

Stephski

Re: Project One Roughs

Post by Stephski »

Hello Tara,
Very cool idea for a fictional company! I enjoy your rough two the most. Even though you sell bottled sleep, that layout is radiant and welcoming. Your name "Dream & Dust" as well as the typeface you chose work perfectly together. I would simply add a "Contact " link to the navigation.
Stephanie Kendziorski.

selvester

Post by selvester »

omg, I would purchase this in a heartbeat, I need more sleep!

I think Dear Mr, Sandman is killer for the company name but I too prefer the second layout the most. The layout in general looks clean and is easy to navigate through. The contrast of colors is nice as well. I would swap out the company name though. Very creative, great job!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oooooh, I get to be the jackwagon client again and say "I like elements of both. Can we combine 'em?"

I would totally purchase a few blocks of sleep from this company BTW.

The layout on your second design is the stronger of the two. It's less fragmented and has better margins. But the "Mr. Sandman" design has better branding and better typography. So take the layout and look and feel from your second one and make it into a "Mr Sandman" page with the block title/headline/navigation font. I do like the colors on the second better. I really need to turn in my contrast card now, I guess. They make me think of a nicely decorated bedroom in Architectural Digest. It feels more gentle than your first one. Good use of margin on the whole thing too. Nothing seems too crammed together and nothing seems too split apart. Your navigation is well placed and easy to see and use.

What I think would really make it look tip top is some textures and drop shadows to add detail and depth. Maybe a little texturing on your wallpaper to make it look like a bedroom wall and some drop shadows on your overlapping shapes to give the whole thing depth. Make sure your product image carousel on your home page is the same width as your banner image.

A good start!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

I like the second layout the best, it has nice flow to it. I think Mr Sandman is kind of a cool name but like the "look" of Dream & Dust. I like your color choices they seem peaceful which lends itself nicely to the product of sleep in a bottle. For me there is a bit of a contrast between the white text over the image. Nicely done!
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
both of your designs are fantastic! I'd go with your rough 2
The design is luminous! The use of multiple colors(Shades) really make the design stand out giving it a appealing look.
Can;t think of any advice to give, sadly -_-

AboutDead

Post by AboutDead »

Hi Tana, I really love the layout and imagery of your second design. The color palette you chose works great for the overall design, very well done! I would suggest moving your contact link to your navigation instead of at the bottom of your page. Great job and I can't wait to see your finished product!
Sarah Alvarado - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Monster Enthusiast

“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”
― Guillermo del Toro, The Strain

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like your second design best. I like the logo you made and the pink and purple colors you chose. My only critique is to make the buttons on the nav bar a little farther apart.
Cassandra Bowers

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

I like both ideas, but I think the latter one is more of a comforting, sleepy feel to it, I think the product would benefit from that! :)

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

Hi Tara, I really love the color choices you've made here, especially the purple and orange of rough one. From a layout perspective, I think your second rough is a little cleaner and more visually pleasing though. Perhaps try to bring some of those lovely sunset colors into rough two's later evolutions? Looks great, good luck going forward!
~ Kieley Smith