Project 1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
chaytothet

Project 1 Roughs

Post by chaytothet »

Hey Guys!

I'm going for the 1920's vintage vibe. I started with a (real, from the 1920s) Gangster surplus store but it slowly turned into a clothing store with aminimalist feel. I really like the lighter of the layouts, but i like the vibrant colors of the other.

I'm still a little scattered, but hopefully this gives you enough to critique!

Best,
Chay
Attachments
grc275_prjct1_02.jpg
grc275_prjct1_02_inside.jpg
grc275_prjct1_03.jpg
grc275_prjct1_03_inside.jpg

selvester

Re: Project 1 Roughs

Post by selvester »

I agree with you, I prefer the second layout more than the first. I think this layout as a nice flow from top to bottom, my eye bounces from side to side which is a great way to separate the products you're selling. The fonts work well here too, they def represent the 1920's. Good job! If you are going to go with the first layout I would try some drop shadows for the blue rectangular boxes. This may separate the background from the foreground boxes.

Awesome work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

The second layout is the one, so nicely laid out, nice flow, and it makes your eye travel down the website. I'm just throwing this out there but the second layout looks like something a 1920's James Bond or Humphrey Bogart (as a gangster) would go to get a suit, etc. -Stylish bad boy!! Great job and can't wait to see the finished website.
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hello!
I love your second layout, the typeface and colors are wonderful! I think that the imagery, and minimal layout works so well here! Great job, I can't find any changes.
Stephanie Kendziorski.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ooooh! Mobile friendly designs. How very vertical.

I like your second design. My love of contrast, I suppose. It feels like a newspaper or a scrapbook or even an old newsletter. A very strong sense of style to attract some OGs (Original Gentlemen). Your photos are well chosen. They instantly establish a look, feel, and theme for your webstore. Your logo is also very expressive and well put together. I like it's sense of cheekiness. Make me want to go out and buy a tin of Brylcream. I like how the justified type blocks and photos play off of each other. They make the same "shape" essentially, so you have a pile of building blocks to build these Jenga towers out of. Your navigation is well placed and easy to use. I like the repetition at the top and bottom.

Watch your margins, particularly the tops and bottoms of your categories on your home page and the tops and bottoms of your products on your inner page. Those are super tight. On a grid style website like this margins become extra important and critical to pay attention to. I'd also recommend having your dividers go all the way across on both your home page and inner page. The different widths is a little disconcerting. I'm not sure your bodycopy, logo type, and navigation type go well together. I'd recommend keeping the logo type and using something like different weights of Garamond for the body copy and navigation.

A good start!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
Unique design!
I'd go with your rough 02, the color scheme truly has it stand out compared to rough 03!
Advice would be to have nav stand out more

AboutDead

Post by AboutDead »

Hi Chay, I really like the color palette you have chosen for your first design. The different browns of your background combined with the blue of your text boxes gives a very nice, 1920's aesthetic feel. Definitely make the navigation larger since it does fall into the background and is easily overlooked. Very nicely done and I can't wait to see the final product!
Sarah Alvarado - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Monster Enthusiast

“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”
― Guillermo del Toro, The Strain

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I prefer the second design. I really love your logo, and I think this one just does more cool things with type and color. The typeface reminds me of old typewriters and newsprints, and the things you're doing with color blocking and layout with the images is really creative. I would however watch some of the kerning with your links and navigation. If you're going to keep the links justified, you may think about adding in some subtle symbols or lines on either side of the smaller line items, so you can keep the visual blocking without the letters floating too far away from each other.
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like your second design best. I Like the fonts and the colors you chose. I can't think of anything to change.
Cassandra Bowers

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

I personally really like your first design. Yeah, the second one with the white background is cleaner, but it doesn't have cool color blocks! Your color choices are good, but can kinda come off as a bit overwhelming. To improve the design, perhaps use a blue frame around white or light tan text areas, instead of solid blue? Additionally, I think said text areas could look good if they were alternating colors, although adding MORE color might be a mistake. XD Good luck!
~ Kieley Smith