Project 1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
kieley_smith

Project 1 Roughs

Post by kieley_smith »

I chose to create a webpage for a cartoonishly evil cloning company, serving the needs of maniacal super-villains worldwide. The favored draft is in green, secondary choice in red. I tried to keep the design very simple and geometric, and would primarily like feedback on whether this is effective or should be made more elegant. Images are not final, as I'll be using my own images for the site.
Attachments
Content page for primary draft
Content page for primary draft
Home page for primary draft
Home page for primary draft
Content page for secondary draft
Content page for secondary draft
Home page for secondary draft
Home page for secondary draft
~ Kieley Smith

fjbo

Re: Project 1 Roughs

Post by fjbo »

That company is pretty awesome!

I tend to think that green is more like experimental, wellness, and positivism. So, I would say black, white and red is the color scheme that best represents what you want to communicate.

It looks very cool so far, I think you are on the right track on this one.
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

selvester

Post by selvester »

I definitely think the green layout is more representational of your product. Your nav at the top is easy to read and use also. I might try a bolder type for your logo, it gets a little lost in the light green triangle. More contrast here would work great. Great job so far!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

The green one really pops and works very well with your layout and product. Think the text "Morally Dubious" needs to be bold or a heavier text to hold up against the green and also feel the bright green that is under the word 'morally' is a tad bright. Same thing with your logo, bolder type or scale the green shape to fit under the name. Don't know if that makes sense!!
Great job!
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hello!
I agree with the previous comments, your green layout looks great. I love the simplicity of the navigation, it is clean and straight-forward. The company name (in your logo) gets a little lost because of the orange triangle, I think it you use a bold font it will work perfectly.
Great business idea!
Stephanie Kendziorski.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

"Morally Dubious." Lol! :lol: You're not even trying to hide what they are.

I like your first design the best. I think it's that toxic green glow emanating up from the bottom. It really hits home the moral dubiousness of the whole thing. Or maybe it's just the excellent use of contrast. Who knows? Speaking of excellent uses, your margins are pretty spot on through this whole thing. There's good groupings and spacing throughout. Your type is well chosen too. It gives off a suspiciously clinical vibe, which is perfect for what you are going for here. Your navigation is easy to see and use, and well placed to snag the eye, too. All of the photos you've chosen are mildly unsetting which only serves to reinforce the idea that we should all back away slowly.

Your bodycopy is quite large on your home page, as is your tagline on your inner page. I think you could get away with type that's half that size. The only margin that looks a little tight is your bodycopy to the vertical green bar on the left of your home page. Open that up a little once you shrink your bodycopy. Also, I think the eternal chain of smiling clones image in your second design needs to appear in your first.

I like where this is going!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

cruiznv

Post by cruiznv »

I definitely think the first of the two layouts in green is the stronger of the two. The red just seems too aggressive for the idea. I really like the all lower case style of top menu and the font choice in general. The imagery and visual elements work well in the layout and make sense. I only have a couple of small suggestions that I think may help. I would consider using the demi or bold versions of Eras for the company logo and titles such as "Morally Dubious!". I would also consider making parts of the letters inside of the triangle in the logo black/negative space to make it stand out more. On the second page, I think the company name in the background image would fit better if it was done in the same font and may be again sprinkle in bolder versions of the font like "Because one of you isn't enough." Also, on both pages "Contact us:" seems out of place because it is underlined and capitalized. Just some very small changes but overall it looks great! Looking forward to seeing it all put together.

AboutDead

Post by AboutDead »

Hi Kieley! Very cool company and concepts! I love the neon green of your first design. It's very eye catching and just screams "Evil Corporation". I would suggest using a basic and clean sans serif font for you description text since it would balance the other font you have nicely. Great job and I can't wait to see the finished product!
Sarah Alvarado - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Monster Enthusiast

“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”
― Guillermo del Toro, The Strain

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like the first design. The neon colors are really cool and the pictures add to the overall design. The only critique I have is that the type in the logo is getting lost with the green triangle behind it.
Cassandra Bowers

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

I really like the green! I think it makes the rest of the images pop!