Project 1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
HouseStark

Project 1 Roughs

Post by HouseStark »

Hello Everyone,

Here are my two layouts with a home page and one inner page. I have a thing for designer vintage clothing so I decided to do a store that sold used designer clothes, and other fashion items. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
website2_home.jpg
website2_inner_page.jpg
website1_inner_page.jpg
website1_home.jpg
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

fjbo

Re: Project 1 Roughs

Post by fjbo »

Your roughs are very solid!

I am having a hard time deciding. I feel that your first design (bright one) is very hipster-ish and right on point. Your second design screams RETRO/VINTAGE (yes its screaming), but that also gives it a feeling of being old. Therefore, I believe that your first design is very solid.

I believe typography is the only area that could be improved in your first design. It is working very well for your current layout, but it is not supporting your brand name that much. It is not necessarily bad.

Awesome job!
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

selvester

Post by selvester »

I'm fond of your first layout. I like the color scheme and the font you chose, they both represent that time frame well. The only thing I would do is to space out the header from the body a bit more, this might give your header some breathing room. If that makes sense??

Good work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hi Michele,
Your first design is beautiful! I love the imagery you chose to work with, as well as the colors. I think your homepage only needs more content below your navigation, give the users a glimpse of the wonders for sale on your website.
Stephanie Kendziorski.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hm. I guess I'm going to have to turn in my "contrast lover" card. I like your second one better.

I think it's the brick texture that does it for me. Makes the whole thing look like a storefront. And your logo looks like a sign. Your color scheme projects such a bright, sunny, sense of optimism which goes well with your chosen photographs. Those photos are excellent, by the way. They establish what is being sold and both set and reinforce the mood of your composition. Your type works well with your theme to enhance the warm feeling it projects. Your margins are good. Everything is, by and large, at the right distances to establish grouping. Your footer navigation is an interesting placement, but it works. It's large, easy to see, and easy to use.

I think think this design would look really cool with some subtle drop shadows and gradients throughout to add a bit of extra depth. Make sure the distance between your category words is the same. I think you can tighten up the leading in your logo a bit. The lines are beginning to fragment at the current distance. Use the script type from your footer logomark on the "Vintage Clothing" words in your logo.

A great start.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
Both are solid designs! Leaning more towards your website1 rough. The color scheme really gives it a dynamic feel!
Advice is reduce logo size, as it stands out way more than the vintage clothing images in the design

AboutDead

Post by AboutDead »

Hi Michele, I love your second design! The blue and yellow are such a nice soft colors compared with your brick imagery. It has a very nice contemporary feel. I would suggest using a darker blue for your navigation instead of the yellow since it is a bit hard to focus on. Great job and I can't wait to see your finished product.
Sarah Alvarado - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Monster Enthusiast

“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”
― Guillermo del Toro, The Strain

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like the second design best. The teal and yellow colors are nice and look very vintage and the brick wall is a cool texture. The only critique I have is to make the type in the nav bar smaller.
Cassandra Bowers

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I like the vintage colors of your first design, but I absolutely love the brick texture and the webpage layout in the second. The colors in your second design are very lovely in a fresh spring time way, but I'd be really interested to see the vintage colors from the first design incorporated into the second layout to see if it works.

If that doesn't seem like something you wanna play with, then definately go with the second design!
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

Go with the second design! It looks so professional, like sites I've seen for real clothes shops. It looks like you've done a lot of research on frequently used design elements for trendy stores, because everything is working really well together, and has a nice summery feel with the cheerful colors. I really like the colors and shapes used on the first design though. Maybe experiment and see if you can preserve that neat frame element on some of the content pages.
~ Kieley Smith