Project One- Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Stephski

Project One- Roughs

Post by Stephski »

Good morning everyone!
For project one, I decided to create an online shop that sells merchandise (t-shirts, bags, etc.) in honor of the book Be Glad You're Neurotic by Louis Edward Bisch. The name of my company is "Neurotic".
The design looks very flat, but I intend to play with some CSS effects or even jQuery to make the layout dynamic.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on these designs.
rough1_home.png
rough1_shop.png
rough2_home.png
rough2_shop.png
Stephanie Kendziorski.

fjbo

Re: Project One- Roughs

Post by fjbo »

I really like the scrolling-oriented layout (Rough 1).

That one is the coolest, mostly because it is very easy to navigate and to skim through and also brings an uncommon layout. The colors are a good irony to the brand name, nice one.

The one thing I would change is remove the gray boxes I think that white would work better or no boxes at all. I would work a bit more with the color palette. I think the colors are great, but I personally feel that the bright blue is not really snapping into place. I believe using shades and tints for that particular hue would be more exciting. Other than that is pretty much your style.

Great work!
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

selvester

Post by selvester »

oooo I really like your color scheme. The orange, green, and white play off each other nicely!
I also love your logo and layout designs, I tend to like rough1_home and rough1_shop a little bit more than the others, but all your layouts would work well in the end.

I don't really have a suggestion for you, all pages look pretty good to me? And as you've already stated, you're going to play with css and jquery to make the layout look more dynamic. :D

Good job!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Marco horta

Post by Marco horta »

Hi Stephanie! very nice work, I like your color pallet, I love the Symmetry on your first design, great work. I would love to see more contrast between your typography and the background. To me, the white text results a bit hard to read. very nice work.
Marco Horta

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” —Albert Einstein

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

Hi Stephanie,

I really like rough 1 layout and color choices. Even though I like the color choices I feel that typography/test gets a little lost - especially in the "Welcome" and footer maybe give it a bit more contrast. Both of your layouts work for me but rough 1 is my choice. Nice work and can't wait to see the finished website.
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Mobile focused layouts! Cool!

We're all a little neurotic, so this feels appropriate. Normies don't get this deep into design.

I like your second one best. The additional blue really looks strong on your overall orange composition. Great color choices. They're complimentary, so they'll always looks good with each other, and these pastel sherbet versions look especially good. It also highlights your imagery and let's it stand out against the light background. Your fonts are well chosen. I especially like the script you chose for your logo and headlines. That's a strong logo too. It feels like a refreshing sunrise over a vineyard or farmer's field. It makes me think of a brand new day. The navigation is well placed and would be easy to use with a bit more color contrast. Your inner pages are nicely laid out as well. The whole composition makes really strong use of margins. Nothing feels crowded and everything feels like it's "in it's place".

The real issue that I see with your design (and your first design as well) is contrast. I can barely read the white type against the pastel orange and blue background. Given the light colored backgrounds, I think dark colored type would work best. Perhaps a dark orange against the pastel orange and a dark blue against your blue. I think the same with your structure lines that divide everything. Also, don't forget to leave room for product descriptions on your inner page unless you plan to do those with tool tips.

Good effort!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
Both of your designs are great!
I'd go with the second design, as the contrasting colors make the design really stand out, with an easy to use nav!
Only advice would be to increase font size, and add more contrast

AboutDead

Post by AboutDead »

Hi Stephanie, I love the scroll-through design you went with! I am really liking your first design. Your color palette is awesome and the diagonal shapes are very interesting too! Great job and I can't wait to see your finished product!
Sarah Alvarado - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, and Monster Enthusiast

“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”
― Guillermo del Toro, The Strain

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like your designs. They really look like a web store. I like your first home page and your second inner page best. Both designs are really nice and I like the slanted shapes with the type over them. They are visually interesting and they make your store unique. I also like the colors you chose, they look really nice together. I think you could choose either design, they are both great. The only critique I have is its hard to read the orange type in the blue shapes.
Cassandra Bowers

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I like how you designed this webpage as one big piece rather than several disjointed pages. Rough one is my favorite, because I can pretty much see a really successful smooth scrolling on it already, and it already seems prepared to be adjusted for a fluid layout. The colors are really strong as well, and I appreciate to lines visually sectioning off your separate content containers. It's really professionally done!
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart