Project 1 roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
ravens.way

Project 1 roughs

Post by ravens.way »

Hi everyone,

I am again sorry this is a bit late.

I am not sure if this qualifies as a product but it is what inspired me after trying a few other products out. I didn't feel the inspiration that I thought I would have from the other ones. Once I picked my product everything seem to fall into place. So I hope you all like them.

Gwendolyn Jones-Gailey
Attachments
website_2_pg1.jpg
website_2_pg2.jpg
website_1_pg1.jpg
website_1_pg2.jpg

rmiyashiro

Re: Project 1 roughs

Post by rmiyashiro »

I like the placement, font and colors in the navigation of your first design and the layout of your second design. I primarily do my internetting on my computer so having the navigation more towards the top feels more comfortable for me. The layout of your second design's 'About Us' page has nice movement.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

awesomeMF

Post by awesomeMF »

Gwendolyn,

I like how you're trying to be different with the navigation bar. I never really seen either on websites. It would be difficult to accomplish because so many other websites out there use the "stapled" top nav bar or left nav bar. But if I had to pick one, I'd chose your first design - where the nav bar is in the middle. If designed right, it could be unique and different. Design two would give you problems in the fact that, it's millions of different computers out there viewing your page. Some screens could view all your website at once, and others might have to scroll down each time to click nav bar. Having to click too much annoys most of us. And I sadly fit into that category. That's why design one makes so much sense to me. Your color scheme is warm and cozy. I had to stare at your logo for a min to understand it said "Sweet Dreams". I like how the D is snuggled up under the S, but maybe make the D a different shade of blue or another color? That way people could get it quicker that it says - Sweet Dreams. Looking good overall!
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I might remember. Involve me, and I'll understand" – quote from some smart asian guy
Rosa Rodriguez

NevadaCowgirl

Post by NevadaCowgirl »

I like web 1 page 2 and web 2 page 1. They look like they go together. I would have to agree with awesome MF on the color for the logo of your S & D. Other than that nicely done.
Amy Zimmerman

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

You are selling a product...Length of stay (1 night, 3 nights, a week?), Number of meals for each stay (just breakfast or breakfast and dinner?), size of room (number of beds/people?), help with planning itinerary (guide service recommendations).

Your second set gets my vote, although you may have problems on small devices with the navigation being at the bottom. This Home page feels warm and inviting. I like the idea of getting a sneak peek into the B&B without actually being there.

On the other hand, the inner page is totally bare. It doesn't have the warmth or charm of the Home page. It needs something to fill some of all that blank space...maybe a couple of tall pine tree silhouettes or a forested mountain offset to the right, and at a much reduced opacity so they don't draw attention away from your main area.

As for your color scheme, I like the background color you chose, but not the green. The logo should also reflect the same color scheme. Taking colors from the pictures you are using always unifies a design. You might consider doing the S in the logo and the business name in the dark honey brown from one of the pics, and the D of the logo in one of the lighter pine colors so it doesn't blend into the S so much. As for the green areas (all of them, both pages), using a strong blue from that magnificent night scene picture will not only add contrast, but will also unify that picture into the whole. Just change your text to white or a super-light tan.

Happy Designing!
Denise
Denise Norwood

Joe_Morales

Post by Joe_Morales »

Gwendolyn,

I like your color choices definitely embodies your companies sweet dreams B&B name. As for possible improvements Id remove the green text boxes although they bring attention to the body copy you can achieve a similar effect with type by including bold headlines and font choices. Great Start!

Joe M.
Joe Morales

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I see some very good beginnings here, Gwendolyn.

I really like the layout on your "website_1" homepage. It has a lot of nice imagery that really sells us on what your website is advertising. It's nicely laid out and presents the best of the home that you are renting through the website. I also like the little quote in the center. Your typography is well chosen and works with the warm, homey feel you are working to establish here. I'd recommend using the inner page layout from your "website_2" but move the nav to the bottom like on the homepage of "website_1". Have a nice column of images to the right and a text column to the left, like you have going already.

I'd ditch the mint color though and stick with your light brown and dark blue colorscheme. You don't need a color behind your text boxes. For the menu at the bottom use a dark blue background with white type on it. Maybe play with some textures for the background and for the navigation bar. I'd also make the "D" a little more visible in your logo.

A good start!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

I really like the look and feel of your design. It has a calming and relaxing feel about it. The imagery you have chosen works great. I would work a little more on placement. I feel like the images are a bit awkwardly placed on some pages and I think I would like to see you do a gallery or slideshow to really show the consumer your B&B! Really great job!
Kaycee Weddell

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

Both look really nice but they also look really similar. The colors work nicely, but if you go with the bottom design I would move the nav up top. Great start.
Vicki Miller

dzync88

Post by dzync88 »

Hi Gwendolyn -

I really like your imagery and your tan and blue color scheme. The minty green is kind of taking away from the classiness of the tan and blue, though. I like your website 1 layout the best, keeping the logo in the upper left corner and moving the eye around the page with imagery. My only suggestion would be to move the nav bar up toward the top of the page. I felt like I had to hunt a little for it. Looks like a "sweet" place to stay! :)
Cindy Salyer