Project 1

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
wysiwyg

Project 1

Post by wysiwyg »

hey guys!
Here's what I've got for project 1. My site sells masks (and other sort of costume accessories for cosplay and such, but the main focus is masks). The site concept is a scrolling one. So you scroll from page to page etc. However, using transparent pngs, I want to have a colorful background popping in and out of view. like this: http://www.webleeddesign.com
In the first concept, there's a colorful background with a sort of creepy face on it (did i mention my target audience will be anime buffs and gothic kids?) and as you scroll, the masks will come up and cover the face so it's like it's wearing them as well has coloring parts of the masks.
In the second concept, things are more simplified and only creative swirls and swooshes appear that match and play off the masks that come up on the screen.
In both concepts, the navigation bar stays at the top the whole time, and uses anchors to navigate the site.
I plan to use a large amount of black and white with only touches of color appearing in the background to appeal to the whole gothic thing.
Typography will be a combo of modern sans-serif and blackletter fonts.
Attachments
2 page
2 page
2 home
2 home
1 page
1 page
1 home
1 home
A vote for DAVID BJERRE is a vote for ANARCHY ... so please, vote for anarchy. The zombies will thank you...

brienicole

Re: Project 1

Post by brienicole »

David. I like the idea of the masks covering the faces... go with that one. If executed well it could look amazing.
Brie Porterfield

- Time isn’t a straight line. It’s all… bumpy-wumpy. There’s loads of boring stuff. Like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays. Big temporal tipping points when anything’s impossible.

kylesmith

Post by kylesmith »

Ok at first I was like wtf are you selling. Then I read you bio about the design and I get it much better. I think this could be a cool way to showcase each mask and let them stand out. Unfortunately IMO this site lives or dies why the quality of the mask imagery, so hope you can find some cool ones out there. You should also think about how you are going to sell the masks. Will there be a add to cart button or do you click on the mask and that takes you somewhere.

As far as the designs go they are too similar to really give you a "do that one". But I would probably go with the first one just in case you need to add a link later on you have extra space to do so without breaking the design.

Now for my final thought. This will totally make you jealous and I invision this being what your scrolling site could be if you were an agency/development shop and had 6 months to build it. http://krystalrae.com/
Kyle Smith

BrandonBarringer

Post by BrandonBarringer »

like this idea. reminds me of this site http://www.webleeddesign.com/

walters36

Post by walters36 »

I really like your first idea. With how you have the idea of having a scroll of a mask coming up onto the face seems like it will be pretty cool. The colors are cool and the the designs coming off of the face/mask is colorful which helps the page stand out.
Lindsey Walters

MissTinaBodden

Post by MissTinaBodden »

Your idea for a site it awesome. I like your scrolling site idea a lot but I don't think you should start with a skull. I think there should be a mask that is classic but creative that way your target audience it pulled into your products and it makes them want to shop, shop, shop.
Tina Bodden

miss_kristine

Post by miss_kristine »

The first idea seems like it will be a really cool design, if you can pull it off! Best of luck to you, seems like a lot of work.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Excellent. An ambitions idea that is within the scope of execution of this class.

Design 1

I really like the idea of using masks, both literal and figurative, to create interesting patterns and designs. I'm curious to see what you'll do with your inner page layouts and typography. I would also make sure your navigation is going to be available at all times and is easy to see and use. I'm not quite getting that from your rough.

Design 2

A good fallback plan if Design 1 flames out hilariously. I really like the navigation bleeding down the page and twisting into the masks. It's difficult to imagine an inner page layout for this one though given the width and vividness of your bleeding navigation.

Conclusion

Go for Design 1 if you dare! I like to see ambition in my students along with a desire to use their abilities in new and creative ways. Your example website is actually much easier to produce than it looks so this is within your grasp. Think figurative masking ...
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg »

Thanks everyone! ... dude, Kyle, I hate you. Why would you show me that? That site is da bomb. You're right, that's totally what this site should be if I had enough time and resources. I am jealous...
A vote for DAVID BJERRE is a vote for ANARCHY ... so please, vote for anarchy. The zombies will thank you...

joshua.miles

Post by joshua.miles »

I like the feel of the masks and skulls. If you can illustrate them good i think this will be a successful website. Especially if your able to pull of the design like your example. Good luck cant wait to see more progress.

Josh