Project 1 roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
awesomeMF

Project 1 roughs

Post by awesomeMF »

My roughs have two totally different concepts. I like them both. I wanted to be diverse. I didn't want to sell a real product (what's the fun in that). My first idea is selling human organs and my second idea is selling dinosaurs (I know weird ideas, but some how in my world, it makes sense). Take a look, pick me apart - do what you must! I can take it!
Attachments
Home page - selling organs
Home page - selling organs
The about page - selling organs
The about page - selling organs
Home page - selling dinosaurs
Home page - selling dinosaurs
The about page - selling dinosaurs
The about page - selling dinosaurs
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I might remember. Involve me, and I'll understand" – quote from some smart asian guy
Rosa Rodriguez

rmiyashiro

Re: Project 1 roughs

Post by rmiyashiro »

In a world where dinosaurs can be pets, I'd definitely want an organ store near by. Both concepts are cool and both designs are laid out nicely. The colors of both work well together and both are easy to navigate. I'm not going to be much help in deciding which to go with. I really like both.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

The organ stores clinical look is perfect for what you are selling. At first, I was thinking the organ pics needed a little more 'pop'. But the more I looked at it, I realized that they are fine. The font, style, and placement of 'New Pieces' is great - but it is what needs the 'pop', it just sort of blends in with the background. It needs more emphasis to bring it out and to balance the organ pics. How? I'm not sure...maybe make it darker, maybe add a drop shadow. It is something to be experimented with. The only other thing on this design that might make it better is to justify your body text. The ragged right edges just don't look right with the ultra-clean look of the rest of the page.
With Dino-Core you did a great job with the colors, type, pics, and layout to emphasize the prehistoric feel. The only jarring note I find is the black outlines around Torosaurus and Amargasaurus. They are too much. They don't look as if they are actually a part of the scene...more like they were just thrown in there as an after-thought.
Both are good, but Dino-Core is more eye-catching. Stay with it...and us!
Denise
Denise Norwood

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ha! :lol: You've got yourself two really great and very different concepts here, Rosa. They are both usable as project material, so I'll give you equal feedback and let you make the choice on which one you want to use.

Your organlegging website captures the essence of modern medical horror by combining hospital website cleanliness with an unsettling sense of wrong in the background. I think it's the splatterpunk logo font and the red accents that do it. A real hospital website would use blue. Yours uses red to "remind us of the source" as it were. Nice work! The happy medical staff in the upper right only completes the look. I like the otherwise clean layout, it really sells the medical aspect of it. The organ pictures serve to further unnerve the user while also being an excellent way to show off your wares. Typographically it works too. The clean, medical, sans-serif font works well with the splatterpunk font of your logo to create a sense of cognitive dissonance. Your navigation is also easy to see and use.

I have just a couple of nitpicks. I think it could use a picture or two on the inner page as well. I'd also slightly reduce the size of the "product" imagery on the home page so it takes up about two thirds of the width on the screen and have your type take up one third, instead of the one quarter it does now.

Your dinopets website looks like a 90's toy website and I think that helps to establish the freakiness of this website as well. You'll need some of those organs from the first website if you treat a utahraptor like a toy! I really like the distressed font on the logo, it feels like something that might be described as "Xtreme!" 20 years ago. It also uses imagery just perfectly, on both it's homepage and the inner page. The torn bark look of the background helps establish the dino's wild nature. The color helps establish the 90's toy theme as well. I can almost hear the commercials. I suspect they'd sound like these. The other type on the website generally works well too. They're easy to read and convey the information well. The shattered nav bar looks cool and is easy to use.

There's a large gap between your navigation and your content on your inner page. I think that needs to be closed up. I'd also recommend doing the "The World's Best Dinosaur Pet Store" tagline in a Helvetica Black narrow or something like that to give it just a little more pizzaz.

Awesome work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I really like the dino-core. I like the frayed edges on the background and the nav box. Maybe change the purple to another shade of green and then the rollover text color to a black or red with a blood looking type like the dinosaur got you. Awesome start.
Vicki Miller

stalksyouatnight

Post by stalksyouatnight »

I like the illustrations of the dino-core, looks more pleasing in my opinion.
My irl name is Zackary Hughes...

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

Both of your sites are nicely down. My favorite is the dino site. The colors and fonts work well. The navigation looks good on both sites. I'm not sure how I feel about the green on the site.

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Both of your designs turned out really well. I like the logo of the first one as well as the color schemes. I think I am leaning more towards the dino one. The colors just pop and I feel like you would enjoy building this one more than the other. overall great start!
Kaycee Weddell

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I definitely like the dino design! I think it's very illustrative and you can have a lot of fun with the design and content! I like the drop shadows behind the dinosaurs, it gives them a bit of pop from the background and makes them seems clickable to their own product page.

The organ website, though very well laid out, seems a little sinister with the bright red elements, if you do choose to go with this one I'd either make the design MORE menacing to match, or choose a more neutral color.
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart

killcomicsans

Post by killcomicsans »

I think the dinosaurs are a stronger solution mostly cause your use of imagery really stands out in that layout. I also like the color scheme and your menu.
Nikki Hillman