Project 1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
killcomicsans

Project 1 Roughs

Post by killcomicsans »

Hey guys,

So my coworkers and I had this idea about creating a brand that would be entirely based off of web design puns called "Inline Styles" and I thought it would be the perfect thing to use for this project. I thought it would be cool if it was a print-on-demand type of site where you can have the same design on multiple products (shirts, mugs, hats, etc).

For my layout I tried to think about the site being responsive as much as possible. Not sure if I want a hamburger menu all the time or just in mobile view. The first design focuses on showing more products in smaller boxes (these would have rollover links) and the second is more image heavy and utilizes the space to display them and even incorporates transparencies for the menu and product titles.

PS: ignore my laziness about using the same image over and over again, just wanted to get a feel for the layout first.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
Nikki Hillman

rmiyashiro

Re: Project 1 Roughs

Post by rmiyashiro »

The color and layout of both designs work well and both designs have plenty of room to expand/contract. I think I prefer the second design. The transparency adds a nice variety to it and the menu feels more familiar.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

awesomeMF

Post by awesomeMF »

Nikki,

Both sites are clean and have great navigation going on - very professional. I love that in a website, if I have to struggle to know what's going on, I close out. Kudos to that. Design one - great layout, big and bold but the best is the related items at bottom. However, I love the transparent nav bar on the second design. Mesh to two together and it's on fire. And I also like how you have arrow going to next item - on the second design. I think it's super important to be able to move around to every item in several ways. Can't wait to see the final outcome. Good job!
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I might remember. Involve me, and I'll understand" – quote from some smart asian guy
Rosa Rodriguez

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

You have a nice, clean layout with both designs, but I think I would go with the first set. There is just too much overwhelming blue in the second set. It takes over the page as the main focal point instead of letting the product stand out. Having the navigation buttons at the bottom might pose some problems on a small device. I know I don't like to scroll to get to where I am wanting to go. Also, a wider range of product pictures (hats and mugs as well as the t-shirts) would be more interesting and let your viewer know right off that it doesn't have to be just t-shirts.
Happy Designing!
Denise
Denise Norwood

Joe_Morales

Post by Joe_Morales »

Nikki,

Very nice use of modern design elements by simplifying the page while highlighting the product. On the first home page design the problem for me is that there are too many small image links for your product but the second home page design does a good job of resolving that by including that scrolling images feature so i'd go with that one. Nice use of typography and well done making it hard to nit pick! great job overall!

Joe M.
Joe Morales

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh God! :? These puns are killing me over here.

You've got two really good, if similar, designs here. Both look like "real" websites. Very professional, clean, and usable. Both have excellent use of contrast. The colorscheme is strong on both. Black, white, and blue really offset each other and work to highlight your content. You have strong imagery that illustrates your product on both. Typographically, both design have well chosen fonts that use weight and size exceptionally well to provide a sense of visual hierarchy throughout the designs.

I would have liked to have seen a little more differentiation between the designs. They have very similar layouts and colorschemes. I nominally prefer your first design because I like it's use of whitespace a little better. It seems less crowded and more open while not sacrificing product images or information. I'd also recommend and more standard navigation for your browser size website. Hamburger navigation works well on phones, but it's a little cramped for tablets and computers.

If you want to build the back end for real, I'd recommend doing it through Redbubble or Teepublic. They're pretty much what you're looking for, print-on-demand, multiple products for your imagery, etc.

Fantastic work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I would go with the bottom design. The zigzag pattern you have going with the picture and blue boxes work nicely. Awesome start.
Vicki Miller

stalksyouatnight

Post by stalksyouatnight »

Looks clean and professional, it seems you know which direction you are going. The pictures look very neat and well made, so keep doing what you're doing.
My irl name is Zackary Hughes...

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

I like the color scheme you used. I like the overall layout of roughs 3 and 4. The image placements on roughs 1 and 2 would suit it better.

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Both designs turned out really well. Your use of type is really great as well as your simple layout to really highlight the product. I think I would like to see you do the second design. It looks like you plan on doing some long scrolling or parallax scrolling and I think that would work great with your design. Great job!
Kaycee Weddell