project 1 roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
stalksyouatnight

project 1 roughs

Post by stalksyouatnight »

Here it is, two different concepts. 1 is a finger box site that sells little boxes you put your fingers in. The other one is a Imaginary Friend match maker.
Attachments
home.jpg
profile page.jpg
about.jpg
cart.jpg
My irl name is Zackary Hughes...

rmiyashiro

Re: project 1 roughs

Post by rmiyashiro »

Both layouts are work well, but I prefer the blue one. The green one hurts my eyeballs. I really like the concept though.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

awesomeMF

Post by awesomeMF »

Zackary,

I think both concepts for website are awesome. I had to laugh at imaginary friend. I think it's a hot idea and could go places. So of course, I pick that idea. You have so much possibilities to create using this concept. I don't know if you picked blue color scheme to play off the Facebook feel - but I'd add some other colors to the mix. Maybe contrast with orange or grey colors. I like the un-even text and boxes to give a playful feel. I look forward to seeing this concept to completion!
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I might remember. Involve me, and I'll understand" – quote from some smart asian guy
Rosa Rodriguez

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

I understand that the Finger Box design is about boxes...but it is...well...too boxy!
I like the angles and different sizes you used for Imaginary Friend.I don't know about the blue on blue on blue though. It needs contrast, it feels flat. What could possibly make it 'pop' , would be to make the darker blue even darker (like a midnight blue) and the lightest blue even lighter (like an ice blue). The text in the lightest areas would have to go darker, maybe that midnight blue, to be readable. The background gradient was a good idea. It draws the eye down to where you want it to go. It could stay the same color so that the darkest blue stands out against it.
Happy Designing!
Denise
Denise Norwood

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I'm going to be one of those people that wants you to combine the two designs. I like the layout of the second design, but the green color is a bit bright, especially when viewed up close on a screen. The blue color works better in comparison, but the crooked layout in the first design is a little unorthodox. I imagine it would be difficult to set up too.

Of the products though, I imagine the imaginary friend match maker would be more fun to play with!
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart

Joe_Morales

Post by Joe_Morales »

Both seem like interesting concepts that can really find good footing. My critique would be to avoid a bright neon color background gradient it can make viewing for the consumer to be uncomfortable maybe instead of from color to white it could be green/blue to a lighter green/blue. Id play around with it a bit good luck!

Joe M.
Joe Morales

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I prefer your first design, both conceptually and designwise to your second. The idea that there's basically an OK Cupid to find an imaginary friend is hilarious.

The blue is a good color pic. It establishes a sense of coolness and authority. I like where you're going with the diagonal box layout even if I think you took it a little too far. You want this zany blend of punk with a little bit of Peewee's Playhouse surrealism in there. For a site dedicated to finding your imaginary friend, you need a little bit of zany surrealism.

The current layout is a little jarring though and I have difficulty determining what is content and what is design elements. I'd recommend toning down the diagonal layout a bit and looking at real dating websites for inspiration. There's a million of them out there. I'd also recommend doing a sans-serif typeface as it would look cleaner and be easier to read. Also maybe introduce some white and black in there to make some contrast. It needs contrast.

A great idea!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

I agree with some of the previous comments, the colors kind of hurt my eyes. I would suggest toning them down a bit. Overall the concepts turned out well. As for the layout I prefer the green one. Good start!
Kaycee Weddell

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

Both could work but I agree with most people that the blue looks better and the green hurts my eye. Great start so far though.
Vicki Miller

NevadaCowgirl

Post by NevadaCowgirl »

I like the blue rough. The flow on the first rough works really good. I would watch your color too because depending on what type of computer or operating system it is viewed on the colors are either to bright or just right.
Amy Zimmerman