Project 1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
kaycee_weddell

Project 1 Roughs

Post by kaycee_weddell »

For this project I decided to make an online site that sells jewelry. The name is Blue Moon Jewelers. For my roughs I decided to make two home pages with different navigation. I wanted to play with different ways to navigate the page so on my second design I went for a more modern navigation that drops down. I also made two about pages. My photoshop was giving me trouble with adding text in my text boxes so I don't have the body copy yet but you still get the idea. I am still playing around with different logos but for now the Blue Moon Jewelers in the script font is my logo. Let me know what you think please!
Attachments
project1_prelim_about2.jpg
project1_prelim_home.jpg
project1_prelim_about.jpg
project1_prelim.jpg
Kaycee Weddell

rmiyashiro

Re: Project 1 Roughs

Post by rmiyashiro »

'ello KC. Your second design has more bling so I would go with the second one. It's good to see that you're already thinking of different types of navigation since we'll eventually have to make these responsive. Your color scheme and fonts work well in both designs.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

awesomeMF

Post by awesomeMF »

Kaycee,

I love big photos because it brings the viewer into that particular mood of the picture is setting, so nicely done. I like the pastel color scheme and modern navigation of the second design. When I visit a site, I want to know exactly where I am and where I can go - your second design does that. I like the social network buttons - let people know your site can be connected everywhere. I would definitely continue on with the second design. Great job!
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I might remember. Involve me, and I'll understand" – quote from some smart asian guy
Rosa Rodriguez

Joe_Morales

Post by Joe_Morales »

Kaycee,

I like the pastel color scheme you have going it pairs well with you choice of imagery, It gives me a California summer feel. Personally i'd go with you second design its easier to navigate and you can incorporate a drop down navigation bar at different screen sizes or even as the user scrolls down. well done.
Joe Morales

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

The Blue Moon Jewelers script font for a logo looks great to me. It emphasizes the bohemian feel of the jewelry.

With your first design, the pages don't seem to mesh together. The Home page feels washed-out and bland...and looking at a store front by itself isn't very interesting. The About page has more dynamics, but I think more of a travel agency poster when I look at it.

Your 2nd set is much more interesting. The large picture showing off the jewelry lets me know exactly what types of jewelry you are selling and makes me want to look further. The 2 over-lapping pictures on the About page are a good touch...here the store front picture fits in well because it isn't the focal point, but by having it here the sense of the 'Blue' in Blue Moon Jewelers is reinforced. You might consider making those pictures just a little smaller though, so they don't compete with the About text for prominence.

Happy Designing!
Denise
Denise Norwood

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'd say your first design is the better of the two, it has an open, airy feel that lets the images do the talking.

Your logo type in particular is well chosen. It really helps establish the artsy feel you are trying to convey here. The rest of the type supports the clean Instagram-esque feel as well. The minimal color palette is another contributing factor here. The black and dark gray really stay out of the way of the images and let them do most of the talking and most of the heavy lifting when it comes to your colors. Your photography is also well chosen. It goes a long way to establishing an Mid-Atlantic coast bohemian look. I especially like the photo of the girl on your inner page. It shows off your wares and acts as a brand lifestyle shot. This kind of thing helps your customers get a feel of what you are about and helps them get into a mindset when they're buying your product. Your navigation is easy to find and use. I like the bottom placement actually. Dare to be different.

I think your bottom navigation could use a touch more leading between objects. Also, you don't need to have your mobile flyout menu visible on the computer version of your website. I'd hide that on anything larger than phone size since your nav is clickable ob tablets and up.

Great work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I like the shop store design. The font is really nice and the faded look goes well with the overall design. It is a little confusing which page goes to which design though. Awesome start.
Vicki Miller

stalksyouatnight

Post by stalksyouatnight »

I prefer the larger images, looks more professional. Without body copy it's hard to guess how it's going to look with it, so I suggest picking a location that doesn't take away from some of the elements you have incorporated already that work nice.
My irl name is Zackary Hughes...

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

Your designs are nicely done. The top two are my favorites. The color scheme and font styles are well done. I like the font you used in the business name. The navigation is easy to read and see.

BecomeAHero

Post by BecomeAHero »

I prefer the first design, the typography is excellent, as the imagery and colors you've chosen lends the site a very classy, beachy, kind of feel which would do very well with your demographic. The navigation is very clean and I can't find anything that I don't like about it! Great job.
Written, read, and approved by:
Tara Rinehart