Codelab - Project 1 Preliminary Comps

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
kylesmith

Codelab - Project 1 Preliminary Comps

Post by kylesmith »

So I only managed to complete one design for the first critique but I put a lot of time into it. I am selling a code editor/cloud based development environment subscription service. I wanted to keep a real modern feel for the site and keep it fresh. I chose purple/pinkish color scheme for the site since I have never used them before and I dont see them in the wild a lot. If anyone is good at copywriting read though my site and tell me where I suck at english.

Down to business. I have included the homepage and the pricing page for my design. I like to preview my stuff in the browser to see the real dimensions rather than just an image so I posted them to my site. Ignore my site (kylemarksmith.com), its old and needs to be rebuilt/updated badly.

Just click the image anywhere and it will link you to the pricing page and vice-versa.
http://kylemarksmith.com/codelab/
Last edited by kylesmith on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Smith

brienicole

Re: Codelab - Project 1 Preliminary Comps

Post by brienicole »

At first I didn't like the purple.. to YAHOO..haha but it grows on me.

Its huge though, I had to scroll left to right and top to bottom unless I made it full screen on my large monitor. But Im sure thats an easy fix.
Brie Porterfield

- Time isn’t a straight line. It’s all… bumpy-wumpy. There’s loads of boring stuff. Like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays. Big temporal tipping points when anything’s impossible.

kylesmith

Post by kylesmith »

Yeah I forgot to mention I'm going to make the site responsive/fluid layout. I changed it so if your browser is smaller than the comp it will just auto match the comp width to your browser width. Might look funny in IE though.
Kyle Smith

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

haha, well if they are using IE do they almost deserve it. :lol:
Brie Porterfield

- Time isn’t a straight line. It’s all… bumpy-wumpy. There’s loads of boring stuff. Like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays. Big temporal tipping points when anything’s impossible.

kylesmith

Post by kylesmith »

I tested it once I got to work << stuck using a PC there >> and it looks fine in modern IE.
Kyle Smith

BrandonBarringer

Post by BrandonBarringer »

Nailed it!... the only thing that bothers me is the fist image of the code editor. doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the design

kylesmith

Post by kylesmith »

Yeah I have yet to actually design that. Currently it is a screen shot of coda 2. When I get to that it will have a darker UI like the price page stuff with some purple accents.
Kyle Smith

vtat

Post by vtat »

Extremely nice design as always!...The only thing that is a bit strange to me would be the "signup today", "plugin", and the "having some trouble" pages in the content area? The top of those three pages seems like it's "tugged" in, but it's hanging on the bottom...I don't know if that make any sense though...other than that, I think you've got very user-friendly layout as well as complete feel to the design.
Vy Tat

MissTinaBodden

Post by MissTinaBodden »

Very creative design. I like your idea of having a lot of information on the home page but it is a little overwhelming. When you enter the page the image of all the codes is so a little large, I would shrink it down that way your directed to the nav bar and information after.
Tina Bodden

walters36

Post by walters36 »

The design you have going for you works well. The navigation seems easy enough to find the information on pricing. The color scheme works well, you can read it easily and know what your trying to sell. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see what you have for next critique.
Lindsey Walters