Sir Jony Ive, P3 - JJ

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
JonathonJ

Sir Jony Ive, P3 - JJ

Post by JonathonJ »

I've decided to tackle the Senior Product Designer of Apple, Jony Ive.

Here are my Roughs!
Attachments
Rough #2, Home Page
Rough #2, Home Page
Rough #2, About Page
Rough #2, About Page
Rough #2, Gallery Page
Rough #2, Gallery Page
Rough #2, Contact Page
Rough #2, Contact Page
Rough #1, Home Page
Rough #1, Home Page
Rough #1, About Page
Rough #1, About Page
Rough #1, Gallery Page
Rough #1, Gallery Page
Rough #1, Contact Page
Rough #1, Contact Page
-Jonathon James

paulab

Re: Sir Jony Ive, P3 - JJ

Post by paulab »

Hi Jonathan! I like rough 2 the best. The background image really pulls me in. It gives a feeling of warmth and that the man has personality, I don't get that from rough 1. The only critique that I have is the loss of consistency in the contact page. The text is lost in the image. Use the container that you used on the rest of the pages and it's beautiful! Good work!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

I think i like rough # 2 the best. It has an organic feel to it but also it compliments the gallery of the technology he has engineered. It is up-to-date with using the "Yosemite" back ground. The first rough I like but it looks like the cover to a movie or documentary. The black and white roughs look a little too clean almost like they need a touch of color and I think the logo is a little too large on those comps. You have put together a nice layout on all of your designs and the modern style of type effectively gives it the appeal of your subject. Great job!
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Jonathan! Great job on both of your roughs! :-) Both designs are clean, simplistic, easy to navigate through and contain typography which goes well with both layouts. I agree with our fellow classmates, I like rough #2 the best because to me rough #1 is just to black and white for my taste. Rough #2 feels more inviting and your images are really appealing. One suggestion I would make is to move his name up to the top or change the font color it gets lost in the image. Otherwise good job and can't wait to see your finished website!
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

I like rough 2's design with all the nature images it makes him seem more approachable that way, especially with that serious facial expression. My suggestion would be to maybe move his image on the home page down a bit so the clouds go over the circle a bit because right now the mountain behind his image gets cut off and is creating a wave shape which is weird to my eyes haha.
Elizabeth Mejia

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi, Jonathan, I agree with the people said your rough2 is the best , I like the color and the feeling. Good job!

c.j.jackson775

Post by c.j.jackson775 »

If it's going to be Jony it's going to have to be the white back ground design. I'm not sure if I like the single J hovering over his name it seems like a wasted element. Make sure you put some crazy ugly light sabers from the new star wars in there.
Design may be king, but typography is the crown.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You've got two good designs here, Jonathan. I like the Mac desktop pictures and warm natural feeling of Rough #2, but it just doesn't feel like Johnny Ive to me. He's all about super clean, minimalist, functional design, and that is Rough #1. It visually communicates his personality and style better than any set of words can.

The combination of the large grayscale portrait combined with the white background is very Apple/Johnny Ive. The typography is clear, well chosen, and easy to read. The navigation is large and easy to follow and use. The whole layout feels like Apple packaging, and that's a good feel to have when your subject is the chief designer of Apple.

I'm not sold on the gray backgrounds for the portfolio entries. Try a semi transparent white or lighter gray and see how that looks. Also, I'd justify the bodycopy to give it a cleaner form and make it a layout shape as much as an information conveyance.

A very good set of designs indeed. That Rough #1 really captures Johnny Ive's aesthetic.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Jonathon,
Nice job, very professional looking designs.
I really like the rough 2 designs because of the environment background photos you used.
They are very strong visually and create an exciting concept for his bio website.
I would play around with the white font color on the background some more.
It blends and might be hard to read especially on a small screen.

Great job!
Georgia

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Hi Jonathon,

Definitely, definitely, definitely go with your first rough! All that imagery is to die for. It's super simply, clean, easy to read and navigate. I'm not so sure about the darker box beneath all the text, it still works really well, but I just think translucent white boxes would be better. I really can't think of much more else to say, it's sleek and effective, perfect for a responsive website.
a s h l e y c h i s a m