project three roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
aslychsm

project three roughs

Post by aslychsm »

Hello, here are my roughs for project three. My inspiration is the artist James Jean. He's been my inspiration since high school. The man is my hero. First concept is super simple, as I want the viewer to immediately be drawn to the vibrant artwork. Concept two is a variation on a long page-scroller style. It needs a lot more work, I'm still messing with colors and typefaces. As always, thanks for reading, feedback is great!
  • Website Concept 1
website2_home.jpg
website2_work.jpg
  • Mobile Version
mobile2_home.jpg
mobile2_work.jpg

• Website Concept 2
website1_home.jpg
website1_about.jpg
  • Mobile Version
mobile1_home.jpg
mobile1_about.jpg
a s h l e y c h i s a m

TsukiMizuDCC

Re: project three roughs

Post by TsukiMizuDCC »

Ashley,

Really beautiful inspiration and concept for the website. I'm really leaning to the second rough because of the colors that you used with the site. But punch up the size of the type on the about page. Also, the mobile is really cool in how it's organized. I like the button idea on the homepage. Nice touch. The first rough, I like the opening page that leads into the homepage. Although the gallery is a little basic due to the color. But this is your choice.

All in all, great designs. Can't wait to see what you create.
Dalanie "TsukiMizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer
"All work and no play makes the imagination a dull reality."
-Dalanie Chester

JonathonJ

Post by JonathonJ »

I really really really like the first option. I love the clean and simple design and I know it will work very well.

The color choice, or lack there of, really draws you to the art, which is amazing!

Good job!
-Jonathon James

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Ashley! Wow girl! These are both very professional, appealing, and creative! :-) It is hard to chose which one that I like best....ummm...I think if I had to choose I would go with website #1 because of the color scheme that you created. Your homepage is very appealing to the eye and it is uniquely designed to where I want to find more about your artist that you chose. Your color scheme meshes perfectly with your imagery and I think it makes the artwork stand out more than website #2. One suggestion that would make is to make your navigation elements a little larger and I would maybe add another piece of his art at the end of his bio on the about page. Otherwise, awesome job and I cannot wait to see your finished site! :-)
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

paulab

Post by paulab »

Hi Ashley! I have to go with rough 1. I like the simplicity of it and it's very clear what the subject is. The only suggestion that I have is to make his name and the navigation bigger on the gallery page. Good work girl!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

As far as those roughs go i think they are both really great. The first laoyut has a gallery feel to it being simple, clean and effective. I like the font choice you made as well. The second roughs however with the colors are very appropriate for your artist! I think they compliment very well and also reflect some personal effects for the page. I would go with the second layout and I cannot take my eye off of the second image on the bottom with the water, I will have to look at more of his work!
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

I really like the first concept! It looks so clean and professional and I like the large image covering the background as well. It looks great as a mobile website too. Something to change hmm its tough maybe make the navigation on the gallery page a little longer?
Elizabeth Mejia

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi,Ashley
I like James Jean’s Artworks too, and I really like your website1 roughs,especially like the home page in color and layout, in standard and mobile size. It is going to be your another cool project at the end of this semester. Great☆⌒(*^-゜)v!

c.j.jackson775

Post by c.j.jackson775 »

I like your first set of designs much better than the second. There is a lot of great imagery and I like the typography.
Design may be king, but typography is the crown.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I see you're up to your usual excellent work, Ashley.

Of your two designs, I prefer your first concept. That pictorial homepage immediately establishes both the artist and his work. It's extremely effective at setting atmosphere and drawing the user in. Heck, it's almost beckoning the user. The inner page is basically perfectly laid out, it stays very simple in order to let James Jean's super-detailed, surrealistic art do the talking. The navigation is well sized and easy to use. It's even pretty darn easy to read, despite using a handwriting font. The design shifts nicely into mobile when required, with the nav being just large enough to use with big fat fingers without dominating the content.

The only issue that I can find is that I'd probably add a bit more space between his name and the navigation on the inner page. That's it.

Awesome work! Now make it real.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262