Project #3_Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
recordd

Project #3_Roughs

Post by recordd »

Hi Everybody! This is Danielle Record presenting my Project #3 Roughs! :-) We were asked to create a website on any artist, photographer, etc who influences us creatively. I have always loved Thomas Kinkade because his art is inspiring and all of it gives off an inspirational message of home, faith, family, and inner peace. One of my favorite quotes from Thomas Kinkade is: "Balance, peace, and joy are the fruit of a successful life. It starts with recognizing your talents and finding ways to serve others by using them." ~ Thomas Kinkade This quote has stuck with me for a long time now and it continues to inspire me today. The process of recognizing my talents and finding ways to serve others by using them still continues for me today and will for the rest of my life. His art is not only beautiful, inspiring, talented, peaceful, etc. his art captivates your heart.

Rough #1: I went with a simple layout which includes a color scheme that is a calming blue and a bright yellow to represent the painter of light. Usually all of Thomas's art consists of his Victorian street lamp logo. Well I decided to change that up a little by using a lighthouse which he also paints a lot of.

Rough #2: I wanted to go with a artistic kind of theme by including a colorful canvas background with the curly and pretty font which is used on most of Thomas Kinkade's images, figurines, puzzles, etc. I also added a Victorian light in the middle of his name for branding.

Please let me know what you think! I can't wait to see everyone's designs! :-)
Attachments
Rough #1_Homepage
Rough #1_Homepage
Rough #1_Gallery
Rough #1_Gallery
Rough #1_Homepage<br />Cellphone Design 320px wide
Rough #1_Homepage
Cellphone Design 320px wide
Rough #1_Gallery<br />Cellphone Design 320px wide
Rough #1_Gallery
Rough #2_Homepage
Rough #2_Homepage
Rough #2_About
Rough #2_About
Rough #2_Homepage<br />Cellphone Design 320px wide
Rough #2_Homepage
Rough #2_About <br />Cellphone Design 320px wide
Rough #2_About
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

TsukiMizuDCC

Re: Project #3_Roughs

Post by TsukiMizuDCC »

Danielle.
Danielle.
Danielle.

Thomas Kinkade sounds like a person that I want to look up. I love the designs of these roughs. Very angelic and professional. I'm leaning to the second rough because the design is really beautiful. I love the photo on the homepage. On the about page, the type is little hard to read. So fix that little problem. Rough 1 is really cool. Love the color scheme, but it feels like the type of the logo doesn't match the page itself. I also saw that you made you roughs into mobile form. I wasn't the only one forgetting to read the Project objectives. I noticed that the sizes for each mobile design is a little off. Don't worry, I had the same problem. I found out that the size for mobile is 320x480 in pixels.

Great designs and hope to see what your final concept is.
Dalanie "TsukiMizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer
"All work and no play makes the imagination a dull reality."
-Dalanie Chester

JonathonJ

Post by JonathonJ »

I like the simplicity of your rough_2 set. It's less cluttered, and looks a lot more thought out than the rough_1 set.

I would recommend adding more to the homepage to draw us in, as of right now. It's just an image, with nothing exciting to look at.
-Jonathon James

paulab

Post by paulab »

Ah... Thomas Kincade... very calming. Hey girlfriend, nice roughs! I'm leaning toward rough 1, the images of his work really pop out against the blue background. Rough 2 is very consistent with his work but it all blends in too much, in my eyes. I think that the images of his work would blend in too much as well. I would use the type that you used for his name in rough 2 in rough one and lose the yellow box. I perceive that to be light from the lighthouse but it doesn't work for me. Also, I would get rid of the name and logo over the door on the home page. The "Painter of Light" needs to be a little smaller, it's crowding the lighthouse. Overall, really nice designs woman!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

I like the first concept the second layout is too matchy, matchy there isn't enough contrast. It is beautiful but nothing stands out. I think the first design works better but the organization for the second page needs work, maybe drop an image in the back ground and drop the opacity or layer it in or give it a texture. i like the blue and yellow but maybe different hues would work better. Also maybe a san serif font for the body and smaller type. They look good, he kinda reminds me of Bob Ross that guy is a LEGEND! haha!
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

I really like both of these designs! I love how the colors match the beautiful painting in the second design but I agree there are a little contrast issues with reading the type. So maybe make the type a little darker or if you go with design one I really think the image of the lighthouse looks really nice and super eye catching! I suggest maybe adding some spacing between the body copy and titles so they aren't too close to the lighthouse or the edge of the page.
Elizabeth Mejia

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi, Danielle, I like your favorite quotes from Thomas Kinkade too:"Balance, peace, and joy are the fruit of a successful life. It starts with recognizing your talents and finding ways to serve others by using them." It is very true. I think the color and theme of your rough #1 fits Thomas better; but I like the layout of your rough #2 more, its more clean and easy to read, especially on buttons of your rough 2 : ).

c.j.jackson775

Post by c.j.jackson775 »

I like the colors and the type better in the second designs. It's warm and inviting and the type looks very elegant which fits your idea well.
Design may be king, but typography is the crown.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

So soothing. I think I'll just ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You've got a pretty strong second design going here, Danielle. It really speaks to what Kinkade is all about. I like the canvas background. It goes a long way to establishing atmosphere and subtly pushes the user through the layout. The coloscheme really works well to calm the eye and acclimate the user to Kinkade's color palette. The navigation is large, easy to use and nicely contrasts with the other elements in the layouts. The content is well presented and easy to follow. I like the use of the script type for the page titles as well.

Try using a regular version of your bodycopy typeface rather than an italic. It'll be easier to read. I'd add a point or two of leading too. You might want to work on your content stack for the mobile version as well.

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing a live version.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Danielle,
I like the design of the rough 2 homepage design more.
When I think of Thomas Kinkade I think of a dreamlike setting and the painting looks better for that.
I would change the title font color on the second page of rough 2 designs.
It's hard to see with the background color as they blend together.

Good job,
Georgia

I