project 1

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
treesa

project 1

Post by treesa »

Here are project one roughs. For some reason it posted the second page first and vice versa. Thanks for any comments.
Attachments
Second page
Second page
first page
first page
second page
second page
first page
first page

kylesmith

Re: project 1

Post by kylesmith »

First Design Home Page:
I'm not a fan of the right aligned type. I think it hurts the readability of a block that big. You could just left align, or if you like the straight gap it makes with the images on the right then try swapping the positions of the images with the type. I think your navigation looks a bit too spaced out vertically. Try to avoid having navigation links wrap to new lines especially if they are only two words. Either make the blue box they are in wider or reduce the size if the links so "Tour Schedule" stays on one line.

First Design Inner Page:
Same thing about the right aligned type I said before.The drop shadow on the images looks a bit generic. It looks like the default PS one. I would play around with the values and direction of the shadow more.

Second Design Home Page:
I like this navigation more than your other design. Keep all your type the same in the navigation though. You shouldn't space out words to make them fill the box like "Home" does. Just size the box to your longest word and center the rest of the type in that size box. Also work on your alignments a bit in there. In the side bar you need to fix your alignments badly. Its super obvious that you just eyeballed it real fast and didn't pay much attention. In that same section you may want to think about changing the shadow on the search box. Looks like the PS default again. Look up "ui buttons" in http://dribbble.com/ and you can see what good buttons look like. For the marquee you may want to think about using a semitransparent overlay behind your type. The white is hard to ready on the image and you don't want to rely on a dark image for your type to be visible. What if this is a client website and they want to change the image to something with a white background. They the type wont show up at all.

Second Design Home Page:
Same thing about type over the image. The "Explore Europe" headline you might want to think about moving it flush with the left side of the image. It will make your life easier when you get to coding it. Its not real hard to do but if you are new to html and css it will just be easier to make it line up flush left.

Overall:
I like the color scheme you did. Bright color + blues is good solution. You could try to add more orange throughout your design to really give it some more pop, maybe for hover states on links/buttons. Get rid of default looking drop shadow and clean up your alignments and I think it could be improved quite a bit in a short amount of time.
Kyle Smith

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

I like the navigation on the second one too. (with of course the things kyle suggested) It is a bit busy though, my eye went all over the page with trying to figure out the watercolor thing behind the logo and the mountain and the words etc... try simplifying it.
Brie Porterfield

- Time isn’t a straight line. It’s all… bumpy-wumpy. There’s loads of boring stuff. Like Sundays and Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons. But now and then there are Saturdays. Big temporal tipping points when anything’s impossible.

BrandonBarringer

Post by BrandonBarringer »

Second one is best. Please get rid of the right aligned text. Try wrapping the images

vtat

Post by vtat »

The headers for both designs are a bit too busy for me, maybe you can lighten it a bit or just take out the images, to push it further back so the logo can pop-out a bit more? I like the navigations on the first design more, and will like it even more if you can left align or right align the navigations, centering doesn't work too well visually for me...

The monochromatic of blue is pretty nice, and it really captures our attention to the logo because of the yellow-orange contrast from the blue. Very nice.
Vy Tat

treesa

Post by treesa »

275_rough3-2a.jpg
Decided to simplify my design for various reasons, not sure if this is an improvement or not
Decided to simplify my design for various reasons, not sure if this is an improvement or not

MissTinaBodden

Post by MissTinaBodden »

I really like the idea you came up with for project 1. Your first set of designs caught my eye. The way you are using images at the top of the page really draws you in and makes the viewer interested in exploring more. I do like your nav bar in your second set of designs.
Tina Bodden

walters36

Post by walters36 »

I like the first designs as well. With the colors you have they pop instead of with when you decided to simplify your design with the second set. If you like the second design best I would have the background image in color.
Lindsey Walters

miss_kristine

Post by miss_kristine »

I like the second design of the first set. Mostly I think the navigation is easier to find. I like when the logo is not centered on the page too, it is a less formal more organic composition when you do not center and I think that appeals to your business. I also like the second sets more minimalistic approach, the first design just has too much to look at.