Project Final 1 - Elizabeth

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
elizabeth_mejia

Project Final 1 - Elizabeth

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

Here is the link to Project 1 :D http://www.grc275.com/student/spring_20 ... index.html

I posted up the website using Fetch at school then when I went home I noticed that one of my images is broken on the About Us page :| I fixed it at home and I tried using Dreamweaver FTP to update my fixed image file but its still not working :/ Darn thing I'll probably have to re upload it Using Fetch at school since the Dreamweaver Ftp server is a real pain.

Three pages: Home, Products, About us. On the bright side my buttons and header are live type fonts! :D From learning how to attach font styles in class so awesome! :D

Oh I tried adding an image in the background of a stone wall but when I looked at it it hurt my eyes too much and seemed too overwhelming so I added this solid background color instead.
Elizabeth Mejia

paulab

Re: Project Final 1 - Elizabeth

Post by paulab »

Hi Elizabeth! Nice job on the site! Not sure why, but it is very slow loading on both of my computers, especially the scroll. You might want to look into that. I really liked the stone wall that you had in class the other night, if you're going with the solid background, I think the gradient that you used in your rough looks better. The scroll really popped off of that background. The yellow flattens out the image, in my opinion. I love all of the imagery that you've chosen. Can't wait to see where it ends up!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

JonathonJ

Post by JonathonJ »

I looked at the scroll image and its 8MB... Save it down to reduce load time a lot. I looked into SVG files and they're relatively small in file size-that is if you made it yourself in Ai, or have it in Ai. (save-as>SVG).

It also looks like something is off when viewing the page smaller than the width of my monitor? it lets me scroll to the right, but nothing is there? its odd.

I like your use of typography, and your logo. good job
-Jonathon James

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Elizabeth! I absolutely love your site...it is one of my favorites! I'm glad that you went with the scroll as the background because it adds character to your site overall. All of the images that you used are a perfect fit and definitely portrays what your business is all about. Your layout is unique and the color scheme that you used fits well with the theme. The fonts that you chose go well together. One thing that I would suggest is to make your witch's journal click-able and have it go to your catalog for easy browsing. Otherwise, awesome job! I can't wait to see your completed site! :-)
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

I like your site! The scroll takes quite a while to load so maybe save it a little smaller to increase the speed. The images you used are bright and interesting. I think I might be alone on this but the scroll still seems weird to me, especially when images are placed on the part meant to be 3D. I like the color choices that you made as well and you chose a very recognizable font.
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Oh my goodness! This came out wonderfully! Love all the colors, images, and details! I don't mind the long load time, but I know it could be an issue for others, especially if they have a slower internet connection, so try playing around with sizing down, it will hardly have any effect on the quality. Some other suggestions, I'm not particularly fond of the yellow-ish background, I feel like a light purple would be more suitable to your theme. Or maybe even a wood texture to make it seem like it's on a wood table or something, with a darker drop-shadow! Lastly, if you could overlay some kind of paper texture on the main container, that would make this even more great!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Very nice work, Elizabeth. This design has really come a long way.

It has a fun theme that is well executed. The scroll idea works well and makes for a good content framing device and points the eye in the direction you want to go. The colors work well to establish the magic theme and every photo serves as a powerful reinforcement. The navigation is large and easy to use and they typography throughout your website serves to put the reader in the right frame of mind.

I really only have a couple of issues with it. One, I would have like to have seen more of a distressed paper texture on the background paper and perhaps a background texture like a brick or stone. Two, you've got some content bleed through into your bottom curl on your "About" page.

Very nice work indeed!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi,Elizabeth
great job over all, only a little bit problem on loading images you need to fix, and I know it is very easy for you to fix it.

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Elizabeth,
Love the idea and your website.
I really like how you got the scroll to be the container.
I also like how you brought the color of the background into the button rollovers.

I would work on layout for the information and photos.
I also want to see a black background as the body instead of the light green/yellow color.
Just seems like it should be black.
Everything else is so colorful and magic potions are both dark and light :)

Great job!
Georgia

c.j.jackson775

Post by c.j.jackson775 »

It seems like your images are really large because they load awfully slow. I'm liking the colors and the imagery you found. seems very alchemy.
Design may be king, but typography is the crown.