Project One Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
d3ft0n3s23

Project One Roughs

Post by d3ft0n3s23 »

Hello everyone. I chose to go with a skateboard product site. The colors and images are not my final choice. I didn't go with any kind of unique layout design and stayed a little more focused on the functionality of the navigation, specific product search and descriptiveness of the items.
Although I do want to have a little bit of style in how the merchandise is displayed. Can't wait to hear some of your feedback.
Attachments
rough_home_1.jpg
rough_home_1.jpg (118.7 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
rough_page_1.jpg
rough_page_1.jpg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
rough_home_2.jpg
rough_home_2.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
rough_page_2.jpg
rough_page_2.jpg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
- Adam Perez

aslychsm

Re: Project One Roughs

Post by aslychsm »

Since the colors and images are not final, I'll try to focus my feedback on the user-friendliness of your design. I do have one problem, I don't know if it's just with my computer, but I can't click to enlarge your roughs. All I get is the small thumbnail version. So sadly I can't really discern your individual categories/buttons. But I'll do my best to try and provide some helpful suggestions! First and foremost, you've created a great logo! Definitely targets the audience you're trying to attract, great job on that. That silhouette is super cool, I'd almost like to see more silhouettes of people doing various tricks in your final design. If I had to pick, the layout of your first concept seems more organized and easy to navigate. I think you're pretty spot on with functionality. The only suggestion I can think of is making the dark, primary blue elements more like the light, airy blue of your logo, to create a more unified/consistent look.
a s h l e y c h i s a m

paulab

Post by paulab »

Same here, can't get the image to pop out. From what I can see, I like rough #2. The logo is great and it feels more organized to me. The design also gives more dominance to the products. In rough #1, the product gets lost in the background. Good start Adam!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

I'm liking the second design best! Looks really clean and organized looks easy to navigate which is great! I also like the colors. The first design looks too busy with the background images.
Elizabeth Mejia

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

I like the first layout. I think real images work better than gradients. It does look a little full because all of the products have decals and the images have angles so it does look a little cluttered. I think it it also encapsulates the embodiment of the lifestyle associated with skateboarding. Maybe fill in white in a few places to keep it well organized but it looks good. Also, I wasn't able to enlarge the image so I couldn't see all of the detail in the roughs.
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Like the others, I cannot get your images to lightbox so I'm going to provide what critique I can based on the thumbnails.

From what I can see, I think your first design is stronger. The navigation is easier to pick out and I like the gradient you have behind it. The secondary navigation is also easy to see and use. The background image establishes a strong branding right away. Maybe try a different background image per page? The logo is large and helps with establishing the brand. I like the large search bar and cart link at the top. Users will be able to check on their stuff pretty easily.

I'm not sold on the darker blue. I do like the lighter blue on the logo itself and I think building the colorscheme around that, a white, a gray, and a black may work well for you. I'd also work on the layout of your homepage. Remember, it's meant to entice and advertize.

A good start. I think you have some strong ideas to build off of here.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi,Adam
I can't get the images to pop out here,so I can't see the big images of your roughs: (
I like the style on your rough 1 more, because there are some interesting photo and pose there, not sure you are going to put slide show at the home page or not, I think it is more interesting to me;
about the layout, your rough 2 is more clear and neat. good job!

Siri

Post by Siri »

Jumping on the wagon that I can't seem to pop out the images either, so I'll be doing this with what I can see from the thumbnails.

I agree that the first design seems too busy with the way the images are laid out in combination with the background images, and I prefer the second design because it seems easier to navigate and there is a sense of repetition and unity to it. All that said, I do think there is a lot of potential with the first design if you can fix the busy issues.
cristina sánchez
your playing small doesn't serve the world.

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Adam! Great Job on both rough designs! As with the others, I could only pull up thumbnails. So as far as I could tell, I'm leaning more towards your first design because I think this layout is stronger, more eye catching, a well balanced layout, navigation is easy to spot, I like the imagery that you used & your logo is a perfect fit for your business! One suggestion that I would make is to switch your image back ground with a solid or gradient background because I think the image is causing your layout to look to busy or cluttered. Other than that awesome job can't wait to see your final design!
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

TsukiMizuDCC

Post by TsukiMizuDCC »

Great work, Adam. The first design is definitely my pick because of skateboard environment and designs that you put into the logo. Although, I suggest on changing the background a little bit. It's a little distracting and lose the focus of the product. But awesome work, dude. Keep up the good work.
Dalanie "TsukiMizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer
"All work and no play makes the imagination a dull reality."
-Dalanie Chester