P1 Critique

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
JonathonJ

P1 Critique

Post by JonathonJ »

My original product is Moleskine.
For those of you who don't know what those are, they are notebooks much like 5 Star or Mead brand. Moleskine is unique in the fact that they sew their pages together, and have many different sizes.

I went ahead and made the brand BirdBeak, USA - my Moleskine replica brand.

I will updated when I have the other rough & im still working on the actual logo, so i only have placeholder stuff right now.

They're backwards but oh well...

EDIT: Design 2 and Logos are now here....
Attachments
Logos
Logos
Home 2
Home 2
Inner 2
Inner 2
website-mockup-inner-page.png
website-mockup-1.png
Last edited by JonathonJ on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jonathon James

aslychsm

Re: P1 Critique

Post by aslychsm »

Moleskin! When the day comes that I can afford to take all my notes in a moleskin, is the day I know I've succeeded in life. You do really great minimalist designs, they feel very clean, but still have a good degree of complexity to them. You're navigation bar adds some nice visual interest, and the pops of bright colors your images include draw the viewers attention and give direction to your products. I'm not sure how I feel about that bright yellow, against that gray background, it isn't really a color scheme I see often, and to me they clash. What I also think would be cool, is if you captured/found a photo of a moleskin opened up half way, and used that as your main image, then typed up all your information on it (maybe in a "handwritten" font?) so that your website looks like someone writing in a moleskin! Whatever you decide, I think you're off to a great start!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

paulab

Post by paulab »

Very clean design. I agree with Ashley about the yellow. I prefer the navigation bar on the inner page over the banner type. Good start, anxious to see the logo.
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

I really like the bottom design that has the image above the navigation. Really nice and professional looking website, I agree with taking out the yellow. Really nice design!
Elizabeth Mejia

Martin5AL

Post by Martin5AL »

Very nice, both concepts are really good and well organized. They do look like a professional website. The color scheme that you have works very well and typefaces are legible and clean. Maybe try a little more on filling up those negatives spaces on both your roughs. Overall, it just needs the logo.
Martin Aranda

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

I disagree with the others regarding the yellow, I think it gives your design nice contrast. I also like the buttons on the home page. Although the design seems a bit top heavy may you need something other than blank space at the bottom like type or move the design down the page a bit.
Either way I like the concept. I am now Googling the Moleskine shop to figure out exactly what it is...haha
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I still only see one design here, sir Image

This first design is a good start. Very solid. It's cleanly laid out and uses contrast well. I have no trouble reading the type or following the navigation. The imagery is large and informative both about the product and it's intended uses. Even the search bar is well placed. Good structuring. I think the gray, black, white, and red work well together.

I'm not sold on the yellow though. I think you could loose it and replace it with the red and nothing of value would be lost. I'd remove the yellow stripe on the homepage and just expand the navigation ribbon to fill the space. I'd also duplicate the navigation ribbon on the inner page for consistency. I think it could use a little margin on the top bar under the logo and the search box. Tighten up the spacing between the content and the nav ribbon on the home page, and also tighten up the spacing between the content blocks on the inner page.

I can't give much feedback on the logo since you only have a placeholder here.

What does the "x" in the circle at the bottom signify?

A good start, sir. I'm interested to see what it looks like as a functional website.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

ashleighporterfield

Post by ashleighporterfield »

Good start so far! I definitely think on both of them, your navigation buttons can be a bit smaller, because they are very large in comparison to the layout of the design. Also, I am not sure if these are currently placeholders, but I think you should put the actual logos in for Facebook, Twitter, instagram, and Tumblr because it took me a minute to figure out what those were referring to. I am not sure what the x is on the bottom of the page. Is it also a placeholder for something? I think you have some strong elements here, and once you fine tune the balance of the text and buttons with the layout, I think you will be well on your way to making a great website.
Ashleigh Porterfield

oasib

Post by oasib »

I am not sure witch one is your home page, or they are both home page with a slite veriation? If thats so, I like your top designe where you have your navigation buttons at the top. I migh stretch the bar across, or move it a little bet down. If one of them is home page and the other one is not, I would just make sure that navigation bar will aways be in same space. I do like the layout of your iteams, composition and typography. I eye appealing and easy to navigate. Good start, and I hope your logo is cumming along!

mccuske2

Post by mccuske2 »

that looks really nice. Its a very clean layout