Project #1 Roughs

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
recordd

Project #1 Roughs

Post by recordd »

Hi Everyone...my name is Danielle Record and I'm turning in my Project #1 Roughs! :-) My fictitious business is called CreativEye Captures and it is a website for photography. I personally love photography so this is basically why I chose to go with it! My plan for these roughs were to create one that is colorful and the other black n white because I feel both color schemes go well with the concept of photography. I'm pretty happy with both of my designs but I think I'm leaning more towards the colorful design because I think it is more eye catching. Anyway please share any suggestions, constructive criticism, comments, opinions, etc. All are welcome! I can't wait to see everyone's designs! :-)
Attachments
Home Page #1
Home Page #1
Photo Galleries Page
Photo Galleries Page
Home Page #2
Home Page #2
About Us page
About Us page
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

aslychsm

Re: Project #1 Roughs

Post by aslychsm »

Great idea, can't go wrong with a good, solid photography website! Both of these are great and would work well for this assignment, but I'm going to agree with you, I like the colorful one more! That home page is lovely, really shakes you awake, and makes the viewer want to see more! That camera is a nice touch too! I also like that you included the social media icons, I need to remember to do that. My only complaint, is if you consider this your "colorful" option, why not swap out that boring gray background, for something a little more lively that compliments your beautiful photos? I think that will really improve the overall quality, and bump up the visual interest!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

mccuske2

Post by mccuske2 »

I enjoy the color of the first website, its fun and playful. the second one with the heart is really nice I'm not to sure of the font they are both strong.

JonathonJ

Post by JonathonJ »

I really like the second one better, with the sepia tones. I think the logo needs a lot of work, it doesn't really say "photography" to me.

I think if you recreate the social media buttons, they wont look so out of place., You can make them with a simple compound path and have them stay flat-without trying to add any depth to them-as they aren't the focus of your site.
-Jonathon James

paulab

Post by paulab »

Hi Danielle! Both of your roughs are really good. I'm just going to repeat what we talked about in class last night. The first rough is very appealing with the colors and all. I have a problem with the lower part of the lens being cut off. I really like the layout, very creative! Two other things are, the font choice for your logo, I think a more elegant font is needed and consider placing the social media icons to a different page. I think they are distracting from that beautiful image and logo. Good start girlfriend!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

I'm loving the first design! Such a great and colorful photo! I think the navigation buttons need a little more contrast from the dark background though, but looks great!
Elizabeth Mejia

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

I like your designs, they have easy navigation and as the audience you know what the website is about, except both of the images including the camera don't work for a "professional" photographer. One is a stock image of a generic camera and the other is an old film camera. I think if you updated the imagery it would be so much more successful.
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Nice! We've got a pretty good set of photography websites here.

I like the sepia toned second one a little better. The colors in the first design compete with the images a bit, and the first duty of a photography website is to get out of the way of the photos it presents. I also like the artsy film heart image better.

The inner page of that design backs this up also. You have clean, easy to follow navigation at the top. Well laid out type to the side and a nice brightly colored image acting as the focal point. Everything else points to it nicely. That's the purpose of a photography website.

My only real issue with the second design is typographic. I think if you add the fonts from the first design into the second and did them all in white with gray rollovers it would be the final touch that design needed.

Good work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi,Danielle
I like the name of your fictions business.
I’m leaning toward the top rough 1, because the big photo for your home page is just perfect for the name”creativeye captures”, also your rough 1 design is more colorful: ). My suggestion is you can play with the logo of this creative name for your fiction company, I don’t think is too hard for you, right?. You both design are works well for your commercial subject, good job!

Siri

Post by Siri »

My goodness, my eye immediately focused on the home page of your second rough. I love the sepia tones of it as well as the layout, it's a neat grid that is easy to navigate but with enough elements to create a sort of flow. However, I also enjoy the excess of color in your first rough. If you go with that one I'd recommend exploring other typefaces or possibly creating a logo graphic, since Lucinda is so often used for script. Both are good starts, and I look forward to seeing the final result.
cristina sánchez
your playing small doesn't serve the world.