project one comps

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
kamilyon

project one comps

Post by kamilyon »

here are my comps. I am going to take pictures of the food and add them into the web site.. So I want a slide show of pictures.
Attachments
Here is the home page. I wanted to keep the rustic feel but also add in a item that i can add a cart for later. I will be adding more items and pictures but I just wanted to get the bones down really.
Here is the home page. I wanted to keep the rustic feel but also add in a item that i can add a cart for later. I will be adding more items and pictures but I just wanted to get the bones down really.
I meshed some comps together.
I meshed some comps together.
tiny_home_comp_04.jpg
tiny_menu_comp_04.jpg
tiny_menu_comp_02.jpg
tiny_home_comp_02.jpg
tiny_meue_comp_03.jpg
tiny_home_comp_03.jpg
tiny_menu_comp_01.jpg
tiny_home_comp_01.jpg
Last edited by kamilyon on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulab

Re: project one comps

Post by paulab »

Hi Kami!
Nice work on all of your comps! I am mostly drawn to comp #2. I really like the rustic look of it, which seems to go with the image of the house in the other comps. The main page is so appealing that I would have to delve further into the site. I do like the image of the tiny house in the other comps, maybe you could incorporate it into the #2 design. Also, I like the font choice for the word "Menu" in comp #1. Very cool ideas!
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Kami! Great job on all of your roughs! Both designs have great layouts! I like them both but if I had to choose I think it would be the rough that has the blue wood background. I feel the background is eye catching and unique. For me, wood looks awesome for restaurant websites! I really like the simplicity and font choices of your homepage layout, as well. I agree with Paula to maybe include the cabin image into this one to give it a more branding feel. One other thing that I would suggest is to maybe change the color of the menu background, I think it is getting lost in the blue. Otherwise, nice job! I can't wait to see your final drafts! :-)
Danielle Record
"You Can't Use Up Creativity...the More You Use, the More You Have" ~Maya Angelou

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Holy moly, you made it difficult to pick one that I think is more successful than the others. Mostly because they're all very good, but also because some are quite similar, and those are always the hardest to choose from. Although they all accomplish the requirements for this project, my favorite is the very last one. I really like the simplicity against the wood textured background. Great font choices and intuitive layout. My only suggestion is in your menu design, give some padding to the left and right sides of the box, because right now it looks a little cramped up against the sides. Nice work so far!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

JonathonJ

Post by JonathonJ »

I really like the tiny_home_comp_02.jpg download/file.php?id=227&mode=view & tiny_menu_comp_01.jpg download/file.php?id=224&mode=view

the only thing i think i would change would be the menu, it looks like everything has the same font weight, so adding some hierarchy would help distinguish your categories-or maybe change the fonts on the names of the food? Also, maybe adding some of the banner work or the ornaments like in the logo would help tie everything together.
-Jonathon James

mccuske2

Post by mccuske2 »

girl I do like the postcard one the most. I do think you should do five more, lol

TsukiMizuDCC

Post by TsukiMizuDCC »

Holy Cow, Kami!

Talk about besting the rest of us with all these roughs. I got to say, these are really good. I love the postcard design for this project. The rough that has the brick background gives me mixed messages and doesn't really go with the concept. I would like to suggest to add a little bit of the wood texture to one of your pages. But nice work, Kami.
Dalanie "TsukiMizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer
"All work and no play makes the imagination a dull reality."
-Dalanie Chester

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

Dang girl you worked hard on these roughs! I'm really liking the second design concept download/file.php?id=230&mode=view I like the colors you chose for this layout. Just for this inner layout download/file.php?id=229&mode=view I think you should lighten up the image for the menu its a but dark. maybe make it bright like the homepage image and make the text black? Looks really great though! :D
Elizabeth Mejia

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

If I had to pick my favorite it would be comp 2. I like the style, the texture, and the logo integrated in the design. The menu looks pretty amazing too! I was a little thrown by the name I had to look at more than one design before I figured out it was a food truck. If it is local maybe reference the "Food truck Fridays" or something? Also maybe a real time tracker of where the "tiny house" is. There is a little contrast issue with the buttons on that comp, but the menu being that blue that offsets the blue background I think helps it pop. You must have been working on this for a while I can see there is a lot of effort!
Sierragirlnv

A.K.A.

Tiffani Lear

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh boy, I've been waiting to write this one.

Now, you and I have gone over these backwards and forwards so I'm simply going to summarize what we've talked about so viewers at home can follow along.

The best of these, in my opinion, is Comp 02. Comp 04 is a close second.

Comp 02 immediately establishes a country, home cooked, feeling and builds on it throughout the design. You know what it's all about when you first lay eyes on it. I think the typography is by and large excellent throughout this thing. From the logo to the navigation to the headers, it's all top notch. I love the blue wood background. Make sure it goes the full width of the browser window either using some tiling along one of the gaps in the planking or with a background:cover value on your body style. The logo looks quite good. I like the type, the ribbons, the tildes, all of it. The navigation is surprisingly easy to read and use considering it's a pretty thin sans-serif font on a complex textured background.

I only have a couple of suggestions for it. One, ditch the semi-transparent background on the menu. It's unnecessary and distracting given it's lack of bottom margin. Two, change the menu bodycopy font to something a bit more legible, say the font you used in your navigation. Three, make the ribbons in your logo curve at the same angle.

Otherwise you have an excellent design on your hands that I cannot wait to see made into a real website. Great work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262