Project 3 Preliminary Critique - Rebecca Baumann

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
re8ecca

Project 3 Preliminary Critique - Rebecca Baumann

Post by re8ecca »

The artist I've chosen is Art Spiegelman. He's a cartoonist who lives in NYC, and he's best known for writing the graphic novel memoirs MAUS, which is about his father's Holocaust experience. Spiegelman's work has a lot of energy, and he doesn't stick to just one graphic style. And yes, he's the asshole who created The Garbage Pail Kids. I forgive him for that one indiscretion.

My first set is designed to mimic a comic book cover. For my second design I wanted to focus on the panels that comics typically use, and I decided to have his artwork break the borders for emphasis.
comic_cover_home.jpg
comic_cover_home_mobile.jpg
comic_cover_about_art.jpg
comic_cover_about_art_mobile.jpg
breakdowns_home.jpg
breakdowns_home_mobile.jpg
breakdowns_gallery.jpg
breakdowns_gallery_mobile.jpg
Rebecca Baumann
rebecca.dsb@gmail.com

UnKool Moe Dee

Re: Project 3 Preliminary Critique - Rebecca Baumann

Post by UnKool Moe Dee »

Rebecca,

Both of your layouts are well designed and easy to navigate. I prefer the second layout because I think the comic book layout goes really well with the imagery and I think the use of typography is really clever. Good work.

Aharon
"God is dead"
Nietzsche,1883

"Nietzsche is dead"
God, 1900

Alexey

Post by Alexey »

Both designs are great. Very colorful and comic stylized. Nothing to add here, very professional

markp

Post by markp »

Hi Rebecca,
the breakdowns_home is super cool, I love how the character breaks through the panels. I also really like the
vertical nav bar and the comic book background. the mobile gallery is perfect for smart phones, big buttons that
promise lots of cool imagery. I should read Maus again, it's been decades.

p.s. I was too late to compliment your final project #2, but I wanted to say that your copy blew me away. to write
that much and stay consistent in voice and humor is amazing to me. I try for that but always end up just going for
the absurd when I get stuck

donnalouwho

Post by donnalouwho »

breakdowns! love it! the concept is interesting, fun, eye catching and amazing, as usual. :)
Donna Harn

brianfreemantmcc

Post by brianfreemantmcc »

I like layout 1, it is bold and clear. Nice design!