Project #3 - Preliminary Roughs, Donna Harn

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
donnalouwho

Project #3 - Preliminary Roughs, Donna Harn

Post by donnalouwho »

Hi all,

For my artist inspiration I chose photographer Imogen Cunningham. I researched and studied her work extensively for one of my projects in my film photography class. One of the first women in photography and a master of light. For my designs I wanted to use aesthetics which highlight and display her art is a visually pleasing manner by using dark colors to accentuate the black and white photographs. I want to create a site which has a "fine art" feel to it and I think both of these do. I think I prefer the first design as it's simple and very classic, just as she was. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Attachments
project_3_home_2.jpg
project_3_gallery_home_2.jpg
project_3_gallery_2.jpg
mobile_2_combination.jpg
project_3_home_1.jpg
project_3_gallery_1.jpg
project_3_gallery_botanicals_1.jpg
mobile_1_combination.jpg
Donna Harn

re8ecca

Re: Project #3 - Preliminary Roughs, Donna Harn

Post by re8ecca »

Hi Donna,
I think the second set of layouts is my favorite, mainly because it showcases the artist's work so well. Using full-browser size images makes it feel contemporary, rather than the smaller images on the first layout.

The lack of color is bothering me though. I'm not saying you have to insert a rainbow, but I'd choose one color, and use it heavily so that it's not just black and white. That's just a personal preference though... I'm sure lots of folks would be fine with pure black and white.
Rebecca Baumann
rebecca.dsb@gmail.com

UnKool Moe Dee

Post by UnKool Moe Dee »

Donna,

I like elements of both designs. I like the use of color and typography in the first layout, and I like the size and visual balance of the images in the second layout. I don't know if that helps, but both of the layouts have something good going for them. Nice work.

Aharon
"God is dead"
Nietzsche,1883

"Nietzsche is dead"
God, 1900

Alexey

Post by Alexey »

Both designs are very good, but my favorite is the second one. I like combination of type and visual elements there.

markp

Post by markp »

Hi Donna,

I think that your second set of roughs is really striking and has alot of style. I like the use of the background
image behind everything. going full screen with the photos works really well and somehow you have managed to make
the navigation clear and vital without interfering with the photos, which I do not think is easy. everything has a
nice soft touch, especially on the iphone samples. very nice

brianfreemantmcc

Post by brianfreemantmcc »

I like the first design, it feels free and well organized. Well Done!