2 questions

Got a question for your instructor or classmates? Found a neat technique you want to share? Post 'em here.
donnalouwho

2 questions

Post by donnalouwho »

Hi, me again. I have two questions, please!

1) How do I isolate let's say my type in the footer content area from following all the hover and visited attributes assigned to the page? I would like it to be separate and assign different colors to it, if possible.

2) Is there a way to do a direct link to my shopping cart? I would like to link an image and when I tried to link it the old fashioned way, in the properties panel, it was a no go!

Thank you very much!
Donna Harn

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: 2 questions

Post by Instructor »

Sorry about the late response. Internet was out at my house over the weekend (I'm going into withdrawls I think Image). So let's get your questions answered.

1. You need to use a compound style to isolate your rollover styles for your footer. So, for example, if your footer div was called "footer" your code might look something like this:

Code: Select all

.footer a:link {
	font-weight: bold;
	color: #FFFFFF;
}

.footer a:visited {
	color: #FFFFFF;
}

.footer a:hover {
	color: #CCCCCC;
}

.footer a:active {
	color: #000000;
}

What we've done here is use a compound style to "drill down" and select only those links that appear in the footer div tag Obviously use whatever colors and formatting you need.

2. Making a direct link to your shopping cart is pretty straightforward. Here's the tutorial link http://www.mals-e.com/tpv.php?tp=3. It should work with both images and text links. If it's not cooperating in the Properties menu, try hand coding it with an <a> tag and see what happens.

My apologies again for the late response. The good new is that internet is back on at my house. Yay!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

donnalouwho

Post by donnalouwho »

Thanks! No worries, glad you're internet is back up!

The styling seems to have worked although my linking is not. It works everywhere else except the footer area. It worked before I changed it however since the background is white, I needed the font to be an active black at all times so it didn't disappear. I'm good with the colors now (I think, hard to tell if they're no working!) but I can't get the links to the other pages to work in my footer area. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Donna Harn

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Not sure what could be wrong without seeing your code, but here's what I'd try:
  • - Check your <a> tags to make sure they're structured properly.

- Try building a link in the Properties menu and try hand coding one.

- Maybe try making them in a brand new blank HTML to see if they work there.

- Try pulling your stylesheet completely off of your document and then open it in the browser to see what works and what doesn't.

- Check your z-indexes in your stylesheet to see if any div tag or other element might be over the top of your links.
That's what I'd do to troubleshoot what's broken. I think you have some element going over the top of your links if they're unclickable. If they are clickable, but not doing anything, something's wrong in the <a> tags.

Hope this helps! Keep me in the loop. We'll get it working!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262