Project 2 Roughs - Donna Harn

Post links to your Project Two websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
donnalouwho

Project 2 Roughs - Donna Harn

Post by donnalouwho »

HI all,

Here are my roughs for Project 2. One page uses a guide for the consumer if they prefer a certain kind of milk used in the cheese production and once clicked on (Brie for instance) a new information and order page will open. The second design uses a catalog of all the products and a lightbox to show the product clicked on. Also, I used different colors on the two designs, not sure which I prefer as they both tie into other pages in the site. Please advise!

Thank you!

Donna
Attachments
project_1_2_our_cheese_1.jpg
project_1_2_our_cheese_brie.jpg
project_1_2_our_cheese_2.jpg
project_1_2_our_cheese_2_2.jpg
Donna Harn

re8ecca

Re: Project 2 Roughs - Donna Harn

Post by re8ecca »

Hi Donna - I think your use of the lightbox to organize your product page works well. Speaking as someone who doesn't know cheeses very well, I'd definitely like to see a picture along with each cheese name, even if it is only a thumbnail. It's nicely organized, and the cheese photos are beautiful.

I feel like your site still needs more color overall. If you want to keep it monochromatic, maybe try a sepia tone instead of grays?
Rebecca Baumann
rebecca.dsb@gmail.com

markp

Post by markp »

both designs have great features. I like how the first is divided into the types of animal milk the cheeses are from, and the description of the selected cheese could be really appreciated by a shopper. on the other hand the second design follows the "dont make me think" rule more, it is simpler and easier to navigate and get your shopping done. it looks like a choice of style vs. function although each one has plenty of both

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Both look very nice. Where I made my call on them is in usability

I tend to be of the opinion "show, don't tell" when it comes to ecommerce and I think your second design does a good job of it. Seeing a sample of the product will help users/shoppers make their decision quicker. Plus it gives "faces" to the "names" of the products. And the colorful images look nice as on contrast to the design.

Your first design seems like it might be better for a cheese wholesale website where your target audience is knowledgeable about cheeses and want to get their cheese with no muss or fuss. On a consumer website you have to take into account people's love of browsing and poking around.

Good work on both!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

UnKool Moe Dee

Post by UnKool Moe Dee »

Donna,

I agree that both layouts have their own strengths. I agree that products need an image to accompany them, but I think that your use of the farm animal silhouettes looks great. If you could find a way to incorporate them into your layout I think it would add to the "homemade" that your site is conveying. Good job.

Aharon
"God is dead"
Nietzsche,1883

"Nietzsche is dead"
God, 1900

Alexey

Post by Alexey »

I personally like the second concept, because of the variety of pictures and images. I think visually they work better.

brianfreemantmcc

Post by brianfreemantmcc »

I think I like the second layou the best, I prefer the way you have put the images in your second design. Good work!