Project 03 Preliminary

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Cole_Richarrds

Project 03 Preliminary

Post by Cole_Richarrds »

One last project, for this project I chose to do the Nevada Humane Society Duck Race, it is a yearly charity event where they release rubber ducks in the Truckee River and people donate to put their name in for prizes, don't worry, they don't leave the rubber ducks in. It is somewhere that is close to my heart as my family has been fostering for them for years and I used to volunteer for them. The way I want to lean for this project is a one page website and have the navigation jump to different sections of the page, so I am currently leaning towards the second concept, let me know what you think! Also, that logo is one I created for the project since they currently don't seem to have one.
draft-1-desktop (1).png
draft-1-desktop (2).png
draft-1-mobile (1).png
draft-1-mobile (2).png
draft-2-desktop.png
draft-2-mobile.png
Cole Richards (he/him) (betes boy)

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 03 Preliminary

Post by Instructor »

Cole I really like the background gradient colors on version 2 of your duck race, yet version 1 is bold and quacks to me.
Here is an article to read concerning our discussion of one page:
https://www.insidenewcity.com/infinite- ... ssibility/
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

Cole_Richarrds

Post by Cole_Richarrds »

Instructor wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:03 pm Cole I really like the background gradient colors on version 2 of your duck race, yet version 1 is bold and quacks to me.
Here is an article to read concerning our discussion of one page:
https://www.insidenewcity.com/infinite- ... ssibility/
Hi, thanks for the article, but I have made sure that navigation is always accessible while scrolling, I am also thinking of putting arrows to sections close by, I will rethink using it in the future but I wanted to experiment a bit with this project.

Cole
Cole Richards (he/him) (betes boy)

Christopher B

Post by Christopher B »

Hi Cole,
Looks like a ducking good time! Lol, sounds like a fun theme to be creative with. Teacher Michael would be very impressed as well.
Have fun with it!
------
Christopher Bargman
chris@cbdatadesign.com
775-283-8817

liv-lil_cactux

Post by liv-lil_cactux »

Hey Cole,
Nice Job! These look very clean and easy to follow. I would play a little more with typography but overall these look great

Cj9497

Post by Cj9497 »

I like the concept of the second design better the gradient makes the imagery stick out. I enjoy the duck logo, it forms a heart when together really catches my eye. The one where the imagery is the focus at first glance I thought it was a sky background. If you decide to go with that make the imagery stand out more.

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Cole,
I like your bottom design the best, with the gradient, it fits the vibe of the race very well. I think the cloud background might create some contrast issues. My only suggestion would be to move the headline to the top, instead of the middle. Good job!
-Bella Meyer

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Cole,
Of the two, I like your 2nd design better, but I gotta say, with such a cool event featuring the Truckee river, you may want to consider using a large image of the race as your background (like in the 1st design) instead of the rainbow gradient. The blue graphics/banners in the 1st design is a little rough for me. Maybe a softer slate blue or something closer to the Truckee's actual color may look nice against the ducks' crazy yellow color. So ya, that's totally confusing, I obviously like both designs, just with little tweaks. Good luck Cole! Can't wait to see your final.
-Johnna Chism ;)

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hi Cole!

Good work here! The Reno duck race has always been interesting to me, you picked a good event. I think I am leaning towards your first set, it just feels a little bolder to my eyes. As for my critique, I feel like the background image makes the site feel much more amateur than your skills actually are. I think you would be better off using the image in some other way. Can't wait to see where this goes, and good luck!

Isaac

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Cole, I like the first Design of the Duck race. Whichever one you use, on the mobile version, do you think it would work better to have the duck logo minimize down to about 25% size? Then it could be left flushed and not be in a conflicting spot behind the Mobile Nav bar. The added dog with the duck makes me smile, throwing in a couple of cats, I am not so sure about it, unless all of the animals hung out with the duck, then I would probably laugh. Don't quack at me too loud, but just for yourself, I wonder if you might try switching the blues to a golden yellow orange just to see how that would look. I like the breathing room you give around the Nav elements using your negative space, and I still like that gradient on #2. I would be okay with only one duck for the logo-perhaps a small heart on it.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262