Prelim 1

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Osmar_Sandoval

Prelim 1

Post by Osmar_Sandoval »

Hey everyone! These are my rough drafts for project 1! I chose to make a website on an artist that I look up to, Naoto Ohshima. I will be doing two subpages based on his work in popular franchises, mainly Sonic The Hedgehog and Balan Wonderland. For my first concept I wanted to have a vibe similar to his art style, which is bright and free flowing feeling. With a background based on a game that he worked on. The buttons are round and brightly colored with a ribbon-like stripe behind.
roughs web.png
roughs web2.png
roughs.png
roughs2.png
For my second concept, I went with a lot more simplistic design using dark colors to emulate the style of the Sega Genesis' dark colors. With white text to make it more legible, and grey square buttons that can fit together. With more pictures of Naoto and his profile picture from social medias. I don't know which organization is better for this page and matching Ohshima's style.
roughs 3.png
roughs 32.png
roughs 4.png
roughs 42.png

Cole_Richarrds

Re: Prelim 1

Post by Cole_Richarrds »

Hi Osmar! I really like your designs, they convey the artist and what he did very well, I think the first design is the best of the two, I like how the navigation is set up in both mobile and desktop sizes. I might change the font you are using for the titles of the pages, maybe find a font that is similar to that used for the sonic branding, that could bring some more comparisons between the site and the subject. Well done! Can't wait to see it finished!
Cole Richards (he/him) (betes boy)

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hi Osmar!

Very interesting choice you made with your person! I am definitely leaning more towards the first set of concepts, I think using color is much more interesting than the rather bland second set. The color choices are great! I think my only feedback is to switch up the font in the headers, it feels a bit out of place. Maybe it's just the color, but I think you could find a font that is both more readable and appealing to look at!

Great work once again,

Isaac

Cj9497

Post by Cj9497 »

I really enjoy the first concept design. It feels playful and inviting. I think it is a good to present it that way because of the cartoon/video game characters. The colors you chose for the background really makes the characters pop off the page.

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Osmar!
I like both of your designs but my favorite is the first one. I think it goes well with Sonic and matches the aesthetic. The background gives it a really fun retro vibe. My only advice is to make the body copy have some hierarchy or be more interesting like the rest of the design. It might help to add another picture or a pull quote.
-Bella Meyer

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Osmar,
These are both great concepts. I kinda like the first one a little better with all the crazy colors, but I could see how the simplistic design would highlight his work better. The only thing I can recommend is working on the hierarchy between the navigation buttons and the artist's name. Right now they're both taking up the same square footage (for lack of a better term). Maybe the name should be a lot bigger and the nav buttons smaller? Could be worth a try. Good work so far!
-Johnna Chism ;)

liv-lil_cactux

Post by liv-lil_cactux »

Nice Job! The colors of the first design is working very well for video game vibes. I would play with the layout a bit more just because it is looking a bit crowded. But great job incorporating photos and fonts and colors to create a theme! (:

bdawg11

Post by bdawg11 »

Hey Osmar.
I am really liking your second design. I think your first design has a little bit too much going on. I like how you designed the button layout.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Osmar, great job of branding using his game colors on the website. On #2 it seems like too much repetition to have his photo thrice.
I would sort my gallery so the white background images are placed apart from each other. The Nav buttons could be smaller. I like your chosen header font.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

Christopher B

Post by Christopher B »

Well done man, great division of space. Did you use a flexbox or grid for these?
My suggestion is to use a little lighter font-color for the navigation bar.
Have a good one!
------
Christopher Bargman
chris@cbdatadesign.com
775-283-8817