Project 2 Initial Roughs

Post links to your Project Two websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
NalaniN

Project 2 Initial Roughs

Post by NalaniN »

Hello Everyone,

Here are my roughs for Project 2. I wanted one concept to be an unusual layout and one to be more typical in terms of where elements are. Some things were created for a previous class (like the video and logo) so I can't really change those now, but I tried to think of it as if it was a client coming for a website and they already have a logo and colors and a commercial video.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Nalani
Attachments
desktop-1-home
desktop-1-home
desktop-1-inner
desktop-1-inner
mobile-1-home
mobile-1-home
mobile-1-inner
mobile-1-inner
desktop-2-home
desktop-2-home
desktop-2-inner
desktop-2-inner
mobile-2-home
mobile-2-home
mobile-2-inner
mobile-2-inner

wilson_iii

Re: Project 2 Initial Roughs

Post by wilson_iii »

I like it! I dig the uniquely shaped nav, I am excited to see how you go about implementing it. Lot of green, maybe introduce a contrast to drive interest towards the parts of the page you want people to see first, or stay at longer. The blue is good, but doesn't stand out to me enough. I love the unique cart icon. I'm not a big fan of the font, I think that a light version would fit in well instead in certain places. All in all, wonderful work! I am excited to see the result!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Welp, I'm a dork! I completely forgot to leave feedback for this thing, even though I promised (in a class lecture no less) that I would. Such a bad instructor. My apologies, Nalani. Here's my tuppence.

What a great concept. The Pan-Tree. Trees that grow pants. Do different kinds of trees grow different kinds of pants? Can we hybridize them? If I combine a cargo shorts tree and a jeans tree, will I get a jorts tree? This concept is swelling my brain.

I like your first one better. It's got much better contrast and I like the rounded navigation and falling leaf pattern in the background. The colors are eye catching and immediately give me a feeling of lush growth. Good use of margin and padding throughout the site. Everything has room to breathe without getting fragmented I like how you've used simple CSS rounding to make leaf buttons and a bigger nav menu that looks a little like a leaf. Your fonts are well chosen. The way the page titles match the script type in your logo really locks things together nicely. And your bodycopy is super easy to read. The layout guides my eyes to the imagery which is a great prioritization. Your pseudo-leaf navigation is easy to see and use.

I don't know if you need to duplicate your company name since it already appears in your logo. If you want to make it more legible, you can swap the font for the one you use in the "second name". The blue button text color looks alright, but I think it clashes with the green a little. Maybe use white for the upstate and the tan from the cart as the rollover color?

Great work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

emilyduke:3

Post by emilyduke:3 »

Hi!

I like your idea, its really fun and creative. I also love plants! I agree with Michael that the first layout is really welcoming and the colors are soft and perfect for this company. I do like the nav bars on your second design though- something about the anchoring of a single heading navigation feels complete to me.

lewlewland

Post by lewlewland »

Love the idea, sounds very familiar ;) this will work very well with the commercial you put together and make for a great portfolio piece with it. Also, I really like the background image, it is very fitting. Only critique I have for this is too maybe look for some more elaborate fonts to add a little to the design. Otherwise great job!