Project #1 Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
emilyduke:3

Project #1 Prelim

Post by emilyduke:3 »

Hi Everyone!

An artist that inspires me consistently is Ali Banisadr, who creates these amazing, huge oil paintings. I originally found his artwork on the cover of a book a couple years ago and he's inspired me ever since! Let me know which one of these layouts you prefer.

Thanks!!
Attachments
rough_web_01.jpg
rough_web_02.jpg
rough_mobile_01.jpg
rough_mobile_02.jpg
rough_web_02_01 copy.jpg
rough_web_02_02.jpg
rough_mobile_02_01.jpg
rough_mobile_02_02.jpg

itsdrrlcarden

Re: Project #1 Prelim

Post by itsdrrlcarden »

Hey Emily!

I love the usage of color in all of the roughs. I think I like the first set better layout wise. But I like the image better in the second set. I love the usage if purple in the first set the painting effect looks cool, I would play with that more to make the site interesting. Maybe make the paint lines moveable? (Not sure if that's to advanced for us lol). Just a thought! Good job!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your first one better, Emily. That purple type on the second one stand out for all the wrong reasons. Let's not and say we did.

That paintbrush effect on your first design is super cool. I love how it breaks through every element on your layout. The 3D effect through the main picture on the home page is especially eye catching. It adds visual depth, a color focal point, and brings a little Banisadr chaos into the clean art gallery look of your design. I like it's recurrence as a page marking motif in your navigation, too.

The rest of the first design is super clean, which makes for a nice contrast to Banisadr's work, which is this cool chaotic mix of Jackson Pollock and Hieronymus Bosch. The pages let the art do the talking and provide information and context as needed. I like the singular accent color of the paintbrush. The rest of the design is monochrome so as to let the colors contained within the artwork do the talking.

The only real weakness of your first layout is typography. The serif and sans-serif typefaces clash with each other and are both too weak to withstand the force of Banisadr's artwork. Your typefaces on your second design are much stronger. I'd bring those in here (just not that purple type, yikes).

This is some good work here, Emily. Very professional looking. Nicely done!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

andramada

Post by andramada »

I really like the graphic elements within the design, especially in the second rough set. the dark mint green contrast very pleasantly with the bold purple. I like the simple font choices paired with the design, it creates a balance within the design. I also like the invisible navigation bar background. I am curious how such a thing will be accomplished in code.

wilson_iii

Post by wilson_iii »

Wonderful work! I am leaning toward agreement with the others that have replied so far, the top designs are much more readable, not the the purple is not. I just enjoy looking at the simple black colored text as I feel there is sufficient color elsewhere on the page, in part thanks to the photo. I think you really have something here, I would continue down this path if you're happy! Can't wait for the final!

NalaniN

Post by NalaniN »

I'm so sorry I'm late commenting on these roughs. Very nice work! I personally like the mix of purple and green in the second set, although that much purple text may be a bit too much. I like how you carry the streaks of color here and there throughout the website. It very much looks like an artists website!

Nalani

lewlewland

Post by lewlewland »

I really like the use of color in these sites, the second set draws my eye the most though. The only issue I have is that what looks like the about page the name of the artist is a bit difficult to see with the black text and photo used in the background. Other than that, I think that these are all really great layouts