Project 1- Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
itsdrrlcarden

Project 1- Prelim

Post by itsdrrlcarden »

The idea here is minimalism. Connor Franta is an internet influencer who started on YouTube, but eventually moved into the photography and fashion world. He is a minimalistic person, but adds fun pops of color into his work. The full inspiration was minimalism.
Attachments
working_graphics_mobile_inside_02.jpg
working_graphics_mobile_02.jpg
working_graphics_computer_inside_02.jpg
working_graphics_computer_02.jpg
working_graphics_mobile_inside_01.jpg
working_graphics_mobile_01.jpg
working_graphic_computer_inside_01.jpg
working_graphics_computer_01.jpg

emilyduke:3

Re: Project 1- Prelim

Post by emilyduke:3 »

Hi Darrell!

Great designs! I particularly like the first set, especially the fourth post with the big photo on the left. I think that would be a great way to represent minimalism, with a big, eye-catching image like that - but I think you could go even further minimalist on the rest of the page, and let the photo speak for itself, maybe by using more minimal text, text-size, and less emphasis on filling the page!

lewlewland

Post by lewlewland »

Hey Darrell,

I like the color scheme and the font however I find the layout to feel a bit cluttered, I think that the best mock you have here is #3 but maybe without the smaller photo. I think that having some space there or filling it with a little more text might help with the feel a bit more

NalaniN

Post by NalaniN »

Hi Darrell,

Nice job! I like the doubling effect you have on some of the photos. I think it very simply adds a bit of interest. The color scheme is very pleasant and peaceful. You may just want to increase the contrast with some of your text over the green. Also, I think some of the text (like the buttons) could benefit from a bit roomier tracking for the sake of legibility.

Nalani

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your green and white second design over the all green first design, Darrell. It has much better contrast and makes the green shine a bit more as an accent color. Your photos stand out better on it too. Some of the colors on the photos were clashing with the all green background. They work better on a white background with green accent colors. I also like how the mobile design converts to a single page scroller.

Your typographic choices are interesting as well. The cursive title accent font, the thin serif title font, and the thicker serif bodycopy play nicely with each other and compliment each other well. They give a very modern, stylish feel to the whole thing. Very "current-day". Your typewriter font clashes with this aesthetic though. I'd ditch that and embrace the modern look.

One of the bits of your first green design I like that I think would look good on your second design is the semi transparent "drop shadow" versions of your images that you have above and to the left of all your imagery. That makes for a really neat visual texture that I think would look good on your other design as well. Having the type overlap the images makes for a unique visual statement. Just be careful that the parts of the images that get overlapped are light enough that you can read the overlapping text. If the image gets dark, your text can disappear into it. Especially fonts as thin and fragile as you're using here.

All in all, I like where you're going here, Darrel. You've got a unique direction and I look forward to seeing it executed. Nice work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

andramada

Post by andramada »

i love the pale green colors, it gives off a warm, comforting sensation. I also like the asymmetrical balance. I also like the very simple design leaving the focus on the info and imagery.
the font choice is energetic and feminine from my perspective which seems to match the personality I get from the pictures.

wilson_iii

Post by wilson_iii »

Hello!

You are going for a minimalist design based on another designer's minimalism, and it would appear that you are successful. There are very few changes in color and it is easy to look over, thanks to the simple design. I don't know this person you are drawing inspiration from, but it looks good. My main complaint is with the green colors you chose. I personally think it would look much better if you tried to emulate the red on the background of the first photo for those designs, and a lighter version for the highlights. All in all, well done! Let's see the finale!