Proj 3 Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
HouseStark

Proj 3 Roughs

Post by HouseStark »

Hi Everyone,
I picked photographer Steve McCurry for my website. I love his work but struggled to come up with a layout I like. Usually I have a problem of to many and having to narrow it down. Please let me know what you think and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
proj-3-home-2.jpg
proj-3-work-2.jpg
proj-3-home-mobile-2.jpg
proj-3-work-mobile-2.jpg
proj-3-home-1.jpg
proj-3-work-1.jpg
proj-3-work-mobile-1.jpg
proj-3-home-mobile-1.jpg
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

chaytothet

Re: Proj 3 Roughs

Post by chaytothet »

I love this guys stuff as well! I never knew his name but I've been pouring over National geographic since before I could read! Pictures were everything!

I think the black of the first layout really highlight the work since it seems at least so far, all the work you are highlighting is saturated, so the black is a natural frame for it.

Great look for it though!

selvester

Post by selvester »

I agree with Chalyn. I find the first set of roughs to be more eye catching with the black background. The layout is simplistic and let's the pictures do all the talking, which works well here. I think on your homepage, I would move the sub heading over until it lines up the the top and bottom images. Great Work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hi Michele!
I agree with the previous comments, the dark background works very well here and enhances the colors of the photos. I think your full width image, in the second rough, is striking. It would work very well with your first layout.
Stephanie Kendziorski.

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

Hey there,

I agree with the previous comments, the top set of roughs with black background look the best. The blue navbar with simple black background keeps all the attention on the amazing photos! I also like the mobile design for this set of roughs, it's very simple, but it works quite well.

As for suggestions, maybe rethink the positioning of the text "the iconic photographer" on draft "proj-3-home-2". having it pushed up against the leftmost image breaks up the alignment of the page, and just looks a little weird. Maybe try centering it between the smaller pictures?

Great roughs so far!
~ Kieley Smith

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow! What a great subject. Nicely chosen, Michelle!

Go with your first design. The dark background of your first design functions almost as a scrapbook page and really lets the colors of the images pop. Your navigation is well placed and easy to use. I like that you resisted using whites and instead used light grays and a muted huckleberry. It does a good job staying out of the way of your imagery. Speaking of imagery, you've done a really good job selecting just the right images from his vast library of absolutely iconic images. Good selection on your font too. It's nice and simple, not to showy, but not too stark either.

Watch your margins on your subheads. "The Iconic Photographer" on your desktop home page is way too tight to the left and the mobile version of it needs a bit more bottom margin. Your photo mosaic on your inner page needs a little more vertical margin between the photos too. They are a little close to each other on the top and bottom. I'd also add more margin between the navigation and your images on the mobile version too.

I like where you're going.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

This photographer’s work is amazing! I like the grid style and colors of the first design. It really makes the pictures pop.
Cassandra Bowers

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
both of your roughs are amazing!
would go with the first rough, the images are much more pronounced with the black background, and the nav is simple and easy to use.

Breezy

Post by Breezy »

Hey,

I agree with prevoiuse comments, his work really pops off the dark background. Really neat design!
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

Brianna Mick

fjbo

Post by fjbo »

Your site is very cool! I really enjoyed the first design the most (proj-3-home-1.jpg). Since the website is about a photographer, I think that the use of imagery should be the highest priority and that second design fully takes advantage of imagery while delivering an enjoyable and engaging design style.

Very good!
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ