Project #3 ~ prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Breezy

Project #3 ~ prelim

Post by Breezy »

Here are my roughs,

I chose Jessica Walsh who is a graphic designer. I went with a simple layout to make her work pop. Jessica's work is very clean but over the top usually with bright and bold colors. Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
home-web01.jpg
subpage-web01.jpg
home-moble01.jpg
subpage-moble01.jpg
home-web02.jpg
subpage-web02.jpg
home-moble02.jpg
subpage-moble02.jpg
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

Brianna Mick

chaytothet

Re: Project #3 ~ prelim

Post by chaytothet »

Hey!
I love both of your layouts, but the black really make her work pop! And the subtle embellishments.. ah! I love #1 :D

selvester

Post by selvester »

I feel like your first layout is more eye catching the the second. The white text looks nice against the dark background and I also love the pop of color on your inner pages. I don't think I have any critique for you great work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

I love how bright your site looks on a white background. I think in this case, it complements her work. Since her work is so colorful with "busy" backgrounds, a minimal layout is preferable to not distract from her work. Nice job!
Stephanie Kendziorski.

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

Hey there,

Your second set of roughs are absolutely fantastic, those line and dot borders are so fun! Wish I'd thought of those! X D I like the background on the first set too, but the bright colors are just awesome against white. I'm especially fond of the vertical navigation you've got going on, it's hard to pull off, but this one looks great!

I really like your roughs, so it's kind of hard to come up with anything constructive. Maybe reduce the size of the white "Jessica Walsh" header on your mobile design for rough 2? I feel like the picture-to-text ratio on your full size design was just about perfect, so try and replicate that size relationship across all of your size layouts.

Great roughs!
~ Kieley Smith

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hee! A great subject here, Brianna. I have zero surprise that Jessica Walsh is one of your major influences. It also explains a ton.

As much as I love the vertical lines guiding the eye through your second design (and they are really good), I've got to give it to your first design. The dark background really causes those colors to stand out. I love the texture provided by the antique motel room wallpaper in the background. It adds just a touch of visual interest without distracting from the technicolor lunacy that is her work. Good job preserving the essence of that layout when collapsing it down to mobile. Your type is well chosen, too. The script type works well as her logo and as an almost logo on the big photo on your home page and Avant Garde bounces off her work as a great navigation and body type. The real hidden gem of this layout is the margins. They're just about perfect throughout. Your navigation is easy to see and use and I think the horizontal bar dropdown menus are a pretty inspired idea. I'm really curious to see them live.

My only real gripe is that the main nav runs together a bit. I'd recommend adding some space between each of your navigation buttons.

Fantastic work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

I like the second one with the white background since I think her work shows better with the white. I like the picture of Jessica in the first one but not her name over her face. I really like where you are going with this.
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Cassie_Bowers

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

I like the first layout. The black background is nice and the way the images are gridded out really makes them pop.
Cassandra Bowers

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
love your first preliminary rough! The dark background image truly makes the design stand out!

fjbo

Post by fjbo »

Both designs are very cool. I really like the magazine style layout. Your color palette is working great and your typography is really on point.

Personally I feel that the design with the black background works better because it causes the images to stand out, and the contrast between the background texture and the images is very cool. I think that the use of texture is a very cool addition since nowadays texture is not a common thing.

Very nicely done!
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ