Project 3 Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
Cassie_Bowers

Project 3 Roughs

Post by Cassie_Bowers »

My inspirational artist is Brittney Lee. She is an illustrator and animator for Disney. She also makes cool cut paper illustrations.

For my design one I want it to look like a shadow box with layers of cut paper.

My second design is more subdued so the art stands out.
Attachments
project_3_homepage_1.jpg
project_3_innerpage_1.jpg
project_3_mobile_homepage_1.jpg
project_3_mobile_innerpage_1.jpg
project_3_homepage_2.jpg
project_3_innerpage_2.jpg
project_3_mobile_homepage_2.jpg
project_3_mobile_innerpage_2.jpg
Cassandra Bowers

chaytothet

Re: Project 3 Roughs

Post by chaytothet »

I really like the first one! I think the embellishments you've made make the art seem like it's in the right environment... If that makes any sense.

I would possibly work with her name a little more and just focus on having captivating Typography.

Beautiful Projects!

selvester

Post by selvester »

Omg her work is amazing! So fun and bright!

I like the first set of roughs. I think you did an excellent job of capturing her design work in a fun and bright way. I especially like the mobile page! You might experiment with drop shadows as this may pop the images of the background a bit. Nice work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Your first rough is lovely, so colorful and welcoming! I love the white space on the sides of the layout. It looks amazing on desktop and mobile, nice job!
Stephanie Kendziorski.

kieley_smith

Post by kieley_smith »

Oh my goodness, these are nice!

The first set of roughs are better by MILES, the colors are great, and it feels like the featured pieces are like, creatures in a jungle! The design also suits the whole Disney thing. I also like the unique shape of the navbar, and the way it's being pushed down by an image.

Maybe try putting a white outline around the header image like you have on the gallery pictures? I'm not sure though, having a hard time visualizing it.

The only thing I don't like about the first set of roughs is that there's no description for the gallery images. You're probably planning to have a text box pop up on rollover or click, but if not it's something to consider.

Great roughs, they look awesome! : )
~ Kieley Smith

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Great choice of subjects, Cassie.

I like your first design better. It's made out of pieces of her work and it feels, itself, like another one of her drawings. Well done! I really like the different themes used from page to page while keeping the same overall left-top-right framed layout. It makes the layouts look much more diverse than they actually are. I also appreciate having imagery of her work be front and center. Good margin work on those BTW. Also, a good choice on your script type. It's working well with the kind of midcentury feel you have going on. The placement of your navigation is good and it's easy to see and use. Everything is just so lush on these layout.

Unfortunately, where they really fall down though is in their mobile layouts, particularly the home page. Your second design has excellent mobile layouts. I'd recommend stealing those layouts and adding a bunch of her artistic flourishes to them for your mobile layout. I'd also recommend a little more interesting type than the super clean sans-serif you've chosen as your navigation type.

Good work!

Now I'm going to be singing the Tikki Room song in my head forever. Thanks ...
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

HouseStark

Post by HouseStark »

I like both but the first one is my fav. Really love the colors, it feels like Disney, fun and colorful. Her name gets a little lost on the homepage is the only thing that stands out as needing a little attention. Great work Cassie and can't wait to see the final website.
Michele Keast Ott

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel, Lord of the Rings

Eduardo_Garcia

Post by Eduardo_Garcia »

Hello,
Both designs are great!
The first rough is amazing! The jungle style layout fits well with the images!

Breezy

Post by Breezy »

Hey,

I like how you used the art itself to create the website, really cool idea! Great job.
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

Brianna Mick