Project 3 Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
paulab

Project 3 Roughs

Post by paulab »

Hello! Here are the roughs that I have so far, I made add one more set later. I chose to do my site on Brian Wells. He opened the door to my creativity at the very beginning of my Graphics journey and has been a supporter, mentor and teacher. Anywhere that you see "Menu" will be a drop down menu. There is a little issue with the resolution on some of the background images, but that will be taken care of before it goes live. Enjoy! Look forward to your critique!
Attachments
Rough1_full
Rough1_full
Rough1_Phone
Rough1_Phone
Rough1_Inner
Rough1_Inner
Rough2_full
Rough2_full
Rough2_phone
Rough2_phone
Rough3_full
Rough3_full
Rough3_inner
Rough3_inner
Paula Burris
"Do whatever you do intensely." -Robert Henri-

TsukiMizuDCC

Re: Project 3 Roughs

Post by TsukiMizuDCC »

Hey Miss Paula,

Very creative roughs. You know, I never would of thought of using our professors as our inspirations. Nice. I'm really liking the second rough of Brian's forest scene. It has that warm feeling that invites someone to explore the site even more. Especially if someone has that dream of becoming an animator. The first rough, I know you were trying to use the Sub Dude graphic(bringing up that sound again, :? :( ) I can't see the type because of the color. Same that's happening on rough 3. But these are really incredible. Can't wait to see what you continue with.
Dalanie "TsukiMizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer
"All work and no play makes the imagination a dull reality."
-Dalanie Chester

elizabeth_mejia

Post by elizabeth_mejia »

First let me just mention the portrait of Brian on layout three :lol: too funny. Brian is a great teacher and it's awesome you chose him as inspiration. I like how illustrated layout 2 is very unique. But I also really like layout one it would be cool if the fish was swimming around chasing the mouse although I'm sure that would be tough to do but very awesome if you did. If you go with layout one I suggest making the bright green type white maybe to contrast better.
Elizabeth Mejia

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hey Paula, It is GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! The 1st GREAT is for your thought of using one of my favorite professor Brian as your inspiration. The 2nd GREAT is for the valuable photos of Brian wells. The third GREAT is for your color choice of all your roughs. I like your rough2 the most, because it fits Brian more, and it remind me his “beer& bear” story, ha ha. You can think about redesigning his website. He is awesome, but he didn’t show enough his talent through his personal website. I wish I can know more about him,and see more of his works from your redesign of his web. I am proud of being his student, and I can’t wait to see your final project. Great job!

c.j.jackson775

Post by c.j.jackson775 »

LOL this is awesome!!!!!!. I think you could go with either one. They are equally expressing Wells HAHAHAHAHA
Design may be king, but typography is the crown.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Now that's some scary subject matter right there!

I think your second one is the best one. It captures the essence of Brian purely visually and it's a cartoon which speaks about what he does on a whole 'nother level. You can also shrink the cartoon Brian down to the bottom on the inner pages and have a whole lot of room up top to layout page information. I like the positioning of your navigation, though I would run it horizontally across the top. I also think the colors work well. They speak to what he does and who he is. I can't really comment on the typography on that one since there's none there. I really do find the headshot on the third design hilarious though. So hilarious that I think I'm going to make a project requirement just for you that you have to use that headshot somewhere on your finished site. It feels like it needs to come out of some Looney Tunes concentric circle thing.

Make sure on your gallery and info layouts on the second one not to get too "cartoony" with them. Let the cartoon in the background do the talking and the information in the fron do the informing..

I am gently amused. I think I'll send this thread to Brian and see what he says.
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Paula,
I really like your rough 2 designs, the characture of Brian looks really good.
Love the way you captured "the beast" relaxing in his true habitat! lol
I think that the rough 1 inner page design layout could go nicely with it.
I would change the flower like/grass setting you have going with rough 1 home.
I don't think of Brian as a very flowery person so maybe its just throwing me off of that design. :)
Good job!
Georgia

Kiwakooo

Post by Kiwakooo »

I love the concept!
This is great idea, Paula!

I really like your rough 2. The color is also perfect!
I also like your inside designs. It's very clean and organized.

Great job!

Kiwako

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Hi Paula,

This. Is. So. Great.

I'm sure Brian is going to love this! I'm definitely leaning more towards your second design, primarily because the imagery is more visually engaging. That homepage is awesome, and certainly draws the user in. My biggest suggestion would be to add a little more pizzazz to the inner pages, like maybe add a subtle background texture, or include more colors. Right now it just seems too simple. But if simply is what you're going for, I think this works great!
a s h l e y c h i s a m