Project 3 initial roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites and preliminary work for discussion and feedback.
NalaniN

Project 3 initial roughs

Post by NalaniN »

Hello everyone,

Here are my first round of roughs for Project 3. My scribbled notes are to help you understand my ideas and are not part of the designs. :) Halloween Spooktopia is a fictional event, and it's meant to be family-friendly. If there is an actual event of this name somewhere, this has no relation.

I look forward to everyone's feedback!

Nalani
Attachments
portrait-home-1
portrait-home-1
portrait-inside-1
portrait-inside-1
landscape-home-1
landscape-home-1
landscape-inside-1
landscape-inside-1
portrait-home-2
portrait-home-2
portrait-inside-2
portrait-inside-2
landscape-home-2
landscape-home-2
landscape-inside-2
landscape-inside-2

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 3 initial roughs

Post by Instructor »

OooOOoooOOooh! Spoopy!

So Halloween is you "event" eh? Very nice. Very nice indeed. All of your little ghosts are hilarious and I like the interactive plans for 'em. They're perfect cases for a little CSS animation.

I like your second one with the moon-based navigation a little better. That phone home page in particular is just awesome. Great use on contrast and the silhouetted cat is so evocative. "Will look spookier." Okay, but can you keep a few of the little inverted raindrop guys around, too? They're funny. I like the rich black background you chose. Makes it seem a little more like the dead of night. Your computer pages have pretty good margins and generally give the content lots of room to breathe. You use the natural contrast of halloween colors very well and I like your placements and choices of the various colors. Good use of type as well. I especially like the distressed lettering used on the titles and other highlight text.

Watch your margins on your images. Particularly the top and bottom margins. Both are awfully tight on your mobile layout and could use just a bit more room. On your computer layout, your text it a little too close at the bottom with your image. Your computer inner page navigation feels very clean. I'd recommend dirtying it up a little. Maybe put it on the side of the moon, or a jack-o-lantern, or a torn piece of paper or even in the night sky.

Nice work!
If we feel useful in life and loved, it sure makes life significant and wonderful

Toni McDonough - GRC 275 Instructor
tmcdonough@tmcc.edu | 775-583-5262

itsdrrlcarden

Post by itsdrrlcarden »

I love the event idea! The colors are working well and the font face choices are great. I love the animation ideas you have with the ghosts!
I think just work on letter spacing and margins within the type. Overall good job can't wait to see the finished project!

emilyduke:3

Post by emilyduke:3 »

Hi Nalani!

I like your moon designs a lot! I think the other design is similar to your other one for project 2 (I believe) and I like how the moon one plays with the navigation more. I also think you chose two great headline fonts for Halloween, but I think you could push your nav or secondary font further, Halloween is the time to go all out (sort of)!

lewlewland

Post by lewlewland »

I really like the designs with the side navigation! I also think that the colors work well with the theme but it might be cool to introduce some purple into them as well. I really like the font used for the title in the second set of designs as well. The layout is also professional as usual!

wilson_iii

Post by wilson_iii »

I like the idea. I think the design with the moon and the cat in the background is the best choice for a landing page, as it is easier on the eyes and provides a unique way to navigate! I have a somewhat biased opinion of the color orange, so this one is tough for me to critique without wanting to say I don't like the color. I don't think you should change them, because they fit the theme. But orange and I don't get along. Anyways, wonderful work. Very seasonally appropriate, and I am excited to see the result!!